Samsung Galaxy S4 is the best Android based smartphone out there, but if you want you can even do better. How? Well, that’s easy: by updating to a custom ROM firmware. So, that’s why during the following lines I will show you how to install the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 powered Death Star v2.0 custom software on your Galaxy S4 I9505. Therefore if you want to learn more about this new update and also if you want to test the same, then don’t hesitate and take a look over the lines from below.
The Death Star ROM is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, so you have nothing to worry about, the Android version that is running on your Galaxy S4 will not be changed. Actually you will customize and optimize the same as the present update comes with extra features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the JB 4.2.2 system. This means that you will power up the performances of your SGS4 by optimizing the internal system and by applying changes to the firmware.
After flashing the Death Star Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM on your Galaxy S4 you will be able to receive more power from your phone, gain more speed, improve the battery life, customize the default Android looks, add complex apps, access the internal system for removing in built programs and a lot more. Death Star software is deodexed, pre-rooted, debloated and zipaligned. Also, there are a lot of new and important features included in the system, so you might want to update your S4 with this new custom firmware.
The ROM is not an official update released by Samsung for your Galaxy S4 I9505; in fact Death Star has been developed and released by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial. Remember that the software is based on stock Android 4.2.2, but you will not get the default Android experience on your device.
In order to succeed with this step by step guide you will first have to prepare your phone for the installation procedure that will follow. In order to do so, you have to complete the pre requisites; perform the tasks from the next list, or else you will risk in bricking your device.
- You need to have a rooted Galaxy S4 for being able to apply the Death Star v2.0 custom ROM; a custom update can be installed only on rooted devices.
- The warranty of your handset will get void because you will make changes into the internal system; actually the factory restrictions will be removed when you will gain root access.
- You also need to install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery, on your S4; the stock recovery that comes pre-installed can’t be used when flashing a custom ROM.
- Be aware as the custom recovery tool can be flashed only on rooted systems.
- Note: you can restore the warranty by downgrading / updating your SGS4 to stock / official Android OS; then the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
- It is recommended to backup the data from your phone because a wipe will be required (you will apply the wipe by using the recovery mode – more about the same a little bit later).
- So, save the contacts, messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings and even make a Nandoid backup for saving the current ROM; in this way you can easily restore the current OS if you don’t like the Death Star JB 4.2.2 one, or if you somehow manage to mess things up.
- You will need to have access to a computer as the firmware file must be downloaded on the same.
- Then, prepare the computer by deactivating the security tools (such as antivirus programs) that are being installed; do the same for your device.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Galaxy S4 and also charge the battery if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- Finally, apply this tutorial only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505; installing Death Star custom ROM by using the next steps on a similar or different handset will probably brick your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with Death Star Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM
- From here download the firmware file on your computer; don’t extract the downloaded file.
- The update file get be downloaded also from here, or from here.
- Now, connect your phone with the PC.
- Copy the firmware file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off your handset.
- Reboot it into recovery mode now.
- In order to boot into recovery you have to press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- Now, by using the recovery mode menu first of all apply a wipe; just select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Up next, from the recovery menu select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Death Star JB 4.2.2 file and flash the same on your Galaxy S4.
- When the flashing procedure ends, you need to select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
- Note: if your smartphone will get stuck in a boot loop you will have to wipe its system (via recovery) once more.
There you have it; now you know how to update the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean by installing the Death Star v2.0 custom ROM firmware. Test the software and share your impressions about the same with us and with other users who might want to apply it on their devices. Also, stay close as new custom updates will be released soon and we will show you how to install the ROMs on your S4 by bringing suitable step by step guides.