After updating your Galaxy S4 with AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM, it’s time to see how to customize and optimize the system of your handset with another custom software. This time we will be checking on how to install the Galaxy Note 3 UI based Dark Sense firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. This is also an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean powered OS, so if you want to update your S4 with a Galaxy Note 3 look-a-like platform then follow and complete the guidelines from below.
The dark sense team had ported the Galaxy Note 3 firmware on the Galaxy S4; don’t worry the software that was developed is stable and comes with all the Note 3 goodies. I am talking about looks, themes, widgets, features, apps and more. Also, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is here, so I’m thinking that you have all the reasons for trying this new software. If so, and if I have aroused your curiosity, use the present tutorial and learn how to easily and safely update your Galaxy S4 with Note3 based UI, Dark Sense Android 4.3 custom ROM firmware.
This ROM represents a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS; the same has been developed and then offered by third party devs, so you are not flashing an official update released by Samsung or Google. Dark Sense is a custom ROM that will customize, optimize and improve the performances of your Galaxy S4 I9500 by providing more power, an upgraded battery life and a new look, that is powered by the Galaxy Note 3 UI.
Considering these aspects, if you want to complete this step by step guide you will first have to:
- Root your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Install a custom recovery image on your handset.
- Backup the phone’s data.
First, we have the root access; well this is being required because you will install a custom ROM. An unofficial platform needs to access and change the internal programs and settings – this access is can be provided only by gaining root access. The best is that when rooting the factory and default restrictions will be removed, so you will be able to perform other tasks too, like: installing a custom kernel, overclocking your Android device, install complex apps and programs and so on. Unfortunately, the Galaxy S4 warranty will get void, so be careful in what you apply and also try not to mess things up – don’t worry, the warranty can be restored if you choose to downgrade your phone to stock Android OS, or to update with an official Android update (manually because on rooted handsets the OTA releases can’t be received).
Then, we have the custom recovery image. Well, the stock recovery image must be replaced with a custom one because a custom ROM can be flashed only by using the same. I recommend you to use CWM recovery, or TWRP recovery, as these are the most used recovery images by the Android users. Do note that the custom recovery tool can be installed only on rooted devices.
Finally, I have mentioned that you have to backup the galaxy S4 data. You need to do that because a wipe will be required – else the Galaxy Note 3 based Dark Sense custom ROM will not work or run properly on your smartphone. So, backup everything that is saved on the internal storage memory. Also, backup the current ROM via Nandroid backup as maybe you will not like the new Dark Sense Android 4.3 firmware. A final recommendation: don’t forget to save the EFS folder.
Good; now complete the pre requisites from the next list and you are good to go.
- Ensure that you can use a computer or notebook.
- Also, make sure that your phone’s USB cable is near you.
- Deactivate the security protection that runs on your computer or notebook.
- Charge the battery of your smartphone before going any further.
- Enable USB debugging option on your handset by going to path “settings -> applications -> development”.
- Apply this guide for installing the Galaxy Note 3 based UI only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9500.
- Remember that the present custom ROM has been developed by those of dark sense team, so thanks them for this tutorial.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9500 with Galaxy Note 3 based UI Dark Sense Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the update file (use the link from here) and the Google apps package (use the link from here).
- Save the files on desktop; don’t unzip the same.
- Next, take your Galaxy S4 and the USB cable.
- Plug in the cable and connect your phone with the computer.
- Select the downloaded files from desktop and copy-paste them on your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off your device.
- Wait a few seconds and then reboot your Galaxy S4 in recovery mode.
- Use the recovery mode menu for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache” – this is for wiping the system so backup the data first.
- Then, return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file first.
- Then do the same and pick the Google Apps package.
- Flash the files on your phone.
- In the end, return to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
Good job; you have learned how to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 with the Galaxy Note 3 based UI, Dark Sense custom ROM firmware. The software is powered by Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, so test the same; then return here and share your results, impressions and thoughts with us and with others that might want to use our step by step guide, by using the comments field from below.