The Exynos version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 had just received a new Android OTA update, as the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XWUBMG1 firmware has been rolled out. The software is available for the Indian users of the SGS4 but the update can be installed by all those who own the I9500 model of the smartphone. So, if you haven’t receive the notification yet, or if you need to manually flash the latest Android 4.2.2 JB XWUBMG1 OS on your Galaxy S4, then use this step by step guide which will easily take you through the installation procedure.
Since the XWUBMG1 firmware is the official OTA that has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 I9500 handsets, you can flash the software anytime you need to restore the warranty, downgrade to stock Android OS, revoke the root access or relock the bootloader. When manually applying official ROMs you are restoring the default Jelly Bean system along with the stock features, apps and capabilities. That’s why you can restore the warranty (it gets voided once you root and install a custom ROM) and relock the bootloader of your phone.
But, mostly the manual update operation is being required if you have a rooted handset. When gaining root access you are removing the factory and default restrictions, which mean that you won’t be able to receive or apply further OTA updates. The official releases of the Android platform will have to be manually installed on your Galaxy S4. If that’s the case, then this step by step guide will be more than helpful for you.
Considering the up mentioned lines, this guide is compatible with rooted and locked smartphones, though if your S4 is rooted now the root access will be revoked – for gaining root access once more you will have to use a tutorial that’s suitable with the new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XWUBMG1 firmware -> use this guide.
Still, you are dealing with an manual update method, so for being able to complete the same ensure: that you have access to a Windows running computer on which the Galaxy S4 I9500 drivers must be installed – use Samsung KIES for flashing the drivers manually; your phone and its USB cable must be near you because you have to connect the device with the computer; that’s why on your S4 go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development” and enable the USB debugging option; the process will be complex and will take a while to complete so charge the battery of your device before going any further; uninstall or temporarily deactivate the security protection (antivirus, antimalware or Firewall) that is running on both computer and SGS4.
Don’t forget to backup your S4 data; even though you will be flashing an official Android Jelly Bean update on your phone you still have to consider that you will do the update operation manually. So, for avoiding the unpleasant situations that might happen, use suitable backup and restore tools from Google Play and save your personal info. Also, if possible save the current ROM and the EFS folder on your way.
Remember that the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XWUBMG1 OS has been rolled out by Samsung only for the galaxy S4 model number I9500 (Exynos version) which means that this step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone (using the steps from below on a similar or different phone will brick your Android device). The firmware is only a minor improvement that comes to resolve the bugs and issues reported by the users; also the battery life of your handset will be upgraded.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Latest Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XWUBMG1 Firmware
- Remember to install the SGS4 drivers on your computer.
- Download Odin on your PC.
- Save the program and then unzip the file on desktop.
- Finally, run Odin.
- Download the update file on your computer.
- Use the link from here; save the file on desktop and then unzip the firmware package.
- Turn off your phone as you need to enter it in download mode.
- The Galaxy S4 can be booted into download mode by: press Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds.
- After booting into download mode, connect your smartphone with the computer.
- Use the USB cable to establish the connection – on your phone USB debugging must be enabled.
- Odin should recognize your phone: the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed on the program.
- If not, you will have to repeat the steps from above, but first try to reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- If everything is working as expected, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Select the update file from desktop.
- F. reset time and re-partition options must be unchecked on Odin.
- Click on “start” for applying the update on your handset.
- In the end, on Odin the ID:COM section will be green and the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You should unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone as you are done.
Good job; you have learned how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XWUBMG1 firmware. If there were issues while trying to resolve the steps from above follow:
In case Odin gets stuck: disconnect your phone from the computer and force restart your Galaxy S4; then, close Odin and reinstall the drivers on your computer; run Odin, reboot your handset in download mode and repeat the update operation from the beginning.
In case your SGS4 gets stuck in a boot loop: reboot into recovery mode: press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons; then from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; end the troubleshooting by choosing “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.