If you like stability more than using something new but still under development, then you are in the right place. Why? Well, because during the following step by step guide I will show you how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9506 with XXUBNA2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean official firmware. I know that it is not the Android 4.4 KitKat OTA update that everyone is expecting, but at least you can flash a stable and fast software that can smoothly run on your Galaxy S4 device. If you want to read or learn more info related to this new update, don’t hesitate and check the guidelines from below.
XXUBNA2 Android 4.3 represents the OTA release that has been rolled out by Samsung in limited markets only. Also, since we are talking about an OTA launch, the firmware will be offered in phases and gradually which means that not all the Android users will receive the update at the same time. In case your Galaxy S4 hasn’t embraced the XXUBNA2 Android 4.3 update yet, then I recommend you to manually flash the same. In that matter, you can safely use this tutorial, which will easily take you through the installation procedure.
As you will see, on the update process Odin will be used. As you know, Odin is developed by Samsung and used on procedures similar with the present one. So, you will not have to use unofficial and risky programs, this guide being perfect even for a newbie. But, since we are still dealing with a manual installation operation I still recommend you to read all the lines from this guide. In this way you can be sure that nothing bad happens and you will be able to prevent the unexpected situations; so let’s get started.
First, you should know that XXUBNA2 Android 4.3 update is not bringing major improvements to your Samsung Galaxy S4. The firmware comes with several stability improvements but with no major features, apps or capabilities. The same will be included on the upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat software. On the other hand, XXUBNA2 is stable and runs without lags or other problems on the Galaxy S4, at least according to those who have already tested the ROM.
It is important to know that this guide is compatible with both rooted and un-rooted Android devices, and more if you apply the next steps on a rooted smartphone, the root access will then be revoked. As you can already tell, because of that now you will be able to restore the warranty of your Galaxy S4 – in case it has been previously voided.
A backup should be completed before starting the proper update procedure. In some cases, rare ones, Odin might get stuck while you are trying to update your phone, or your handset might get stuck in a boot loop (see the troubleshooting section from below). Well, if that happens, you will have to wipe the system of your device for resolving the problems. Because of that you can lose everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory of your Galaxy S4. So, that’s why a backup is recommended (save at least your contact list, call logs, text messages, EFS folder, market apps and personal data, info and accounts.
After taking care of your data, you need to ensure that a Windows based computer can be used. On the same time your handset and its USB cord must be near you as you will have to establish a connection between your devices. Because of that, now on your phone you need to check the USB debugging option; in order to do so go to “menu – settings – developer options”. On the same time, on your computer you should deactivate the security protection which include antivirus and antimalware programs – these tools might interfere with the update operation.
Furthermore, your Galaxy S4 must be charged or at least it should have more than 60% power left; else you phone might get turned off in the middle of the flashing process and you will risk in bricking your smartphone. Complete all the guidelines from above if you want to safely update your Samsung Galaxy S4 to official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean XXUBNA2 firmware. As you can already tell, the steps from below are compatible only with the I9506 version of the SGS4 – the XXUBNA2 OTA update has been released only for this smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9506 with XXUBNA2 Official Android 4.3 JB Firmware
- From here download the update file.
- Place this file on desktop.
- Then, on your computer download Odin.
- Unzip the program on desktop.
- Do the same for the firmware file – unzip it on the same folder as Odin.
- Install the Galaxy S4 drivers on your computer – you can use Samsung KIES for achieving the same.
- Up next you need to run Odin on your PC.
- Good, now turn off your phone.
- Press power, volume down and home buttons at the same time in order to boot into download mode.
- Then connect your smartphone with your computer by using the USB cable.
- Odin will recognize your device and if everything is ok, on Odin you will see the “added” message displayed and the ID:COM section turned yellow or blue.
- If that’s not happening then you need to remove the USB cable and close Odin. Try to reinstall the drivers on your PC and then re-apply the steps from above.
- From Odin select the “PA” option.
- Pick the Android 4.3 firmware file.
- And don’t make any other changes.
- Good, now from Odin click on “start”.
- Wait while the update is being applied.
- You will be done when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green.
- You now need to unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
In case Odin gets stuck during the flashing process
- You need to unplug the USB cable.
- After that you will have to force restart your Galaxy S4.
- Also, close Odin on your PC.
- Reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- Reboot your phone in download mode and run Odin on your computer.
- Repeat the update procedure from above.
Similar, in case your smartphone gets stuck after installing the Android 4.3 firmware via Odin
- Turn off your phone or just reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also choose “wipe cache partition”.
- Go back to main menu of recovery.
- Select “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
Perfect, you are done. So, you have successfully installed official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean XXUBNA2 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9506. Do share your experience with us and with other Android users who might want to use this dedicated step by step guide.