Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Official Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Firmware
The Galaxy S4 model number I9500 had just received a new minor update as Samsung released the new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL firmware. The OS has been OTA (over the air) rolled out but if you have a rooted device, the software will not be notified by your S4. Also, the ROM will be pushed out in phases meaning that not all the smartphones will receive the update at the same time. That’s why during the following lines I will be showing you how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 to latest official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update, the XXUAMDL OS.
This is not the only official update available for your Galaxy S4, though it is the latest stock firmware released by Samsung so before starting the flashing operation, check out our “update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500” page. Then, return here and resume the rest of the steps; in the end your handset will be running on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL software. The present ROM comes to resolve some bugs and issues (like the heating issues and battery drain problem) so don’t expect to see new features and apps added on your phone. This is a minor OS improvement as the platform is still based on Android 4.2.2 ROM.
The best is that XXUAMDL is an official launch of the JB system; therefore this is not a custom ROM firmware. That’s why installing the stock software will be easy; you don’t have to previously complete complex and risky procedures on your phone. Actually, this guide will work on both rooted and locked Galaxy S4 and furthermore your device doesn’t need to be installed with a custom recovery image. For the update operation we will be using Odin, which is a dedicated tool, designed by Samsung especially for these kinds of methods.
Because of the up mentioned aspects, here is what we can conclude by now: the warranty of your Samsung Galaxy S4 will not get void by updating to official Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL OS; also you don’t need to have a rooted smartphone because you are not flashing a custom ROM; but in case your device is rooted, then after performing the steps from below, the root access will be revoked (you will be able to unchain the system of your handset by applying a new root guide that is suitable with the new XXUAMDL software); finally if your SGS4 is currently running on a custom OS, now you will be able to restore the stock Jelly Bean firmware and also you will be able to restore its warranty.
Anyway, as this is a manual update procedure, it is recommended to backup the Galaxy S4 data before using Odin for applying the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL ROM. So, take your time and save everything you might need afterwards; you can start with the EFS folder, internet settings, contacts list, call logs, market apps and with your text messages and personal accounts. Do not complete this guide without backing up the data because you can end up in losing all of your personal saves.
Now, let’s take care of the pre requisites. First, a windows computer or notebook will be required while the SGS4 and its USB cord must be near you. Then, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, from your computer and handset uninstall the security programs and deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection. Next, enable the USB debugging option from your phone and check the battery status because if there is less than 60% power left, you will have to plug in the charger.
Do remember that the Android 4.2.2 XXUAMDL update has been rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 model number I9500, so don’t use this tutorial for installing the firmware on a similar device. If you somehow mess things up, then you can end up in bricking your smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Official Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUAMDL Firmware
- On your computer first of all install the S4 drivers; you can use Samsung KIES for completing this task (skip this step if the drivers are already installed).
- Then, download and install Odin.
- Also, download the update file from here and extract the same on your computer.
- Open Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it into download mode; note: for download mode press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Connect your device with the computer via USB cable.
- On Odin the ID:COM should now be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not, I recommend you to re-install the drivers on your PC and to repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin click on “PDA” – pick the file with “CODE” in the name.
- Also, click on “Phone” – pick the file with “Modem” in the name (skip if there is no such file).
- Click on “CSC” – pick the file with “CSC” in the name (skip if there is no such file).
- Click on “PIT” – choose the “.pit” file if there is such; if not skip this step.
- On Odin the Re-partition box must be unchecked.
- Click on “Start”.
- Wait while the installation procedure is running.
- In the end on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Reboot your device as you are done.
- If Odin gets stuck (this can happen while you are trying to apply the firmware file) you need to close the program and to unplug the USB cable. Also, you have to force restart your phone and to reboot it into download mode once more. Then, on the computer reinstall the drivers and run Odin. Up next re-apply the steps from the update operation.
- If your phone gets stuck in a boot loop (this can happen in the end, when your S4 should be rebooted into Jelly Bean 4.2.2) you will have to reboot it into recovery mode. The recovery mode can be entered by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time. From recovery you will have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – this is why you need to previously backup the data. Then, you need to choose “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 has been manually updated to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMDL Firmware. So that was all for today, our job has been successfully completed. Anyway stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips and tricks (such as “how to SIM unlock the Galaxy S4 for free”) and don’t forget to share your impressions and thoughts wits us by using the comments area from below.