If you need to flash the stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 or if you want to get the usual official maintenance update that comes to fix the bugs and to add new features and apps, then learn how to install the latest XXUBMG5 firmware on your smartphone. This new JB 4.2.2 update has been rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 from Europe and Asia, the software being OTA or by using KIES available. But, if you need to manually flash the XXUBMG5 OS on your SGS4, then use and complete the present step by step guide.
When talking about official updates that are also OTA and via KIES available, a manual method is being required if your Galaxy S4 has been previously rooted – then you can’t apply the firmware other ways; if you want to restore the warranty – by installing the stock Jelly Bean OS you will relock the system; or if you want to get back on default JB 4.2.2 in case the custom ROM that runs of your device isn’t good enough for you. So, use this tutorial only if you need an alternative that can replace the automatic flash procedure.
Don’t worry as this guide is also official which means that by updating your Galaxy S4 to stock J3lly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 firmware, the warranty of your handset will not get void. Your phone will be in safe hands and nothing bad will happen while you will try to complete the steps from below. A backup is being required though as in rare cases some users reported that after applying the official software manually, their data got corrupted or even erased. So, for avoiding that kind of situations, first of all save all of your data, personal info and accounts. Save only the data that is there on the internal storage memory of your S4 – the info stored on the SD card is in safe hands already.
Since the XXUBMG5 OS is the official release of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean platform that has been rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 I9505, root access isn’t required on this operation. But, if your phone has been already rooted, after completing this tutorial, the root access will be revoked, the bootloader relocked, the warranty restored and the factory restrictions reinstalled. All the mentioned aspects are linked with the stock Android software.
For being able to safely apply the XXUBMG5 JB 4.2.2 OS on your S4 you will have to use Odin. Because of that a Windows running computer must be near you along with your smartphone and with its USB cable. The USB debugging option must be enabled on your device, while on your computer you must deactivate or uninstall the security tools and protection. Furthermore, you should consider in charging your handset if the battery status is indicating lower power – less than 60%.
The last thing to know related to the present operation is: this step by step guide will take you through the installation procedure of the stock Android OS on the Galaxy S4 model number I9505. Since the XXUBMG5 firmware has been released only for the mentioned phone, don’t use this tutorial if you have a different or similar smartphone as you can end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to manually Update Galaxy S4 I9505 to latest Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXUBMG5 Firmware
- From here download the update file.
- Save that file on your computer and unzip the same on desktop.
- Then, on the same computer install the galaxy S4 drivers – you can use Samsung KIES for completing this task.
- After flashing the drivers, download and install Odin on your PC.
- Also, at the end, run Odin.
- Close your phone and reboot in download mode – press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together for a few seconds.
- Connect your handset with the computer.
- Now on Odin the “added” message should be displayed while the ID:COM section from the same program should be yellow or blue.
- If not, close Odin, unplug the USB cable and reflash the drivers; then repeat the operations from above.
- When done, form Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the update file from desktop.
- Don’t change anything else on Odin – the re-partition box must be unchecked.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while the firmware is being applied.
- When the “pass” message is being displayed on Odin you can disconnect your S4 from the computer.
- Also, reboot your device.
- If there were problems, such as: your phone is stuck in a boot loop, or Odin gets stuck while you are trying to complete the steps, use our dedicated step by step guide and learn how to resolve the most common Android issues in a minute.
So, there you have it; that was the manual method that can be used when needing to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMG5 firmware. Do share your impressions, thoughts and experience with us and with other users who might want to complete this guide by using the comments field from below.