The Galaxy S4 had received the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OTA update as Samsung released the firmware for almost all the S4 models. The same is applying for the Korean users of the SGS4 who should receive the notification any time now. But, in case you need to know how to manually update your Galaxy S4 LTE E300K with the official and latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean release, dubbed as KKUAMH2, during the following step by step guide I will show you how to easily flash the firmware on your handset.
The manual update operation should be applied if you haven’t received the OTA release yet, if your phone is rooted (on rooted devices you cannot install official firmware – only manual procedures can be used), if your S4 is running on a custom ROM, if you have bricked your device and need to unbrick the same, or if you want to downgrade to stock Android Jelly Bean OS (for different reasons – like restoring the warranty or using a stable platform instead of a buggy one). So, if you do need to complete this tutorial for installing the official JB 4.2.2 KKUAMH2 software on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Korean edition, follow the guidelines from below.
This tutorial is suitable with both rooted and locked SGS4 devices because you will flash the official Android update and not a custom ROM. So, the warranty of your handset will not get void by completing this guide. Furthermore, you can restore the warranty in case it has been previously voided (usually the warranty is lost when you root or unlock the bootloader of your smartphones). Also, since the S4 is a Samsung branded phone, for applying official Android Jelly Bean updates Odin must be used; therefore you don’t need to replace the stock recovery image for being able to install KKUAMH2 JB 4.2.2 firmware.
That’s why updating your SGS4 LTE E300K to official Android 4.2.2 will be an easy thing to do. Completing this step by step guide will only take a couple of minutes from you time, so you will be back on track before noticing it. Now, proceed by applying the pre requisites list. This is the most relevant part of this guide, so treat it with attention – also don’t skip the lines from below if you want to safely perform the flashing operation that will shortly follow.
- Backup the data that is stored on the internal storage memory of your phone (the SD card will not be affected).
- Save contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS, market apps, personal info, accounts and everything else it’s important to you or you might need afterwards.
- It is unlikely to lose the data while using Odin, but in rare cases users reported that after flashing an official ROM, the data has been corrupted or even erased.
- Apply this tutorial only if you have the Korean version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 – model number E300K. The KKUAMH2 JB 4.2.2 firmware has been released only on the mentioned country so you can figure it out while this guide is compatible only with the mentioned handset – flashing the software on a similar device will probably brick your beloved phone.
- A Windows based computer is being required because Odin can be installed only on Windows platform.
- On the computer, before going any further, uninstall the antivirus and antimalware tools, or deactivate the security protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Galaxy S4; you can check USB debugging by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development”.
- Ensure that your smartphone has enough battery life for staying “alive” through the update operation; if it gets turned off, the Galaxy S4 might get bricked. So, if there is less than 60% power left, plug in the charger before starting the steps from below.
Update Galaxy S4 LTE E300K (Korean model) with KKUAMH2 JB 4.2.2 Official Firmware
- On the computer you will use the S4 drivers must be installed – you can get the drivers via Samsung KIES.
- On the same computer download Odin; unzip the package and install the program.
- Also, the update package must be downloaded on the PC; get the firmware from here.
- Unzip the update on desktop.
- On your computer run Odin.
- Turn off your Galaxy S4.
- Take your phone and press Volume Down, Power and Home buttons at the same time, for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when download mode is being displayed.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer via USB cable.
- Now, take a look on Odin; you should see the “added” message displayed while the ID:COM section should turn yellow or blue.
- If that’s not happening, you will have to remove the USB cable, close Odin, reinstall the S4 drivers on the computer and repeat the update process from above.
- Then, from Odin you will have to select the option named “PDA”.
- Next, pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Don’t check anything else on Odin (the reparation and f.reset time options must be unchecked), just click on “start”.
- Wait a couple of minutes while the JB 4.2.2 update is being flashed.
- You will be done when the “pass” message will be displayed. Also, the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Disconnect the devices and reboot your phone.
In case your SGS4 will get stuck in a boot loop you will have to enter recovery mode, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” and reboot your smartphone. Similar, if Odin gets stuck while applying the steps from above, disconnect the phone from computer, close Odin, force restart your handset, reinstall the drivers and repeat the installation procedure from step 1.
Congratulation you have successfully installed the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean KKUAMH2 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE E300K (Korean model). That was all for now but stay close as soon we will show you how to root the new KKUAMH2 software. Also stay close for receiving the latest rumors, news tips, tricks and Android related step by step guides.