The Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update has been released and you can use this guide to learn how to flash it if you don’t want to wait for the OTA Update notification to arrive.
If you want to know more about this release then you can check the news article here. Basically this new KitKat build brings the latest Android 4.4.2 features such as better multitasking, new white status bar icons, camera improvements and more.
Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black Edition model number I9195.
– check your device’s model number by going through Settings> About Phone menu.
– if the I9195 model number is not listed or there is a different one then you should close this guide.
- don’t try to update any other different Android device with the files that you will find in this post.
- install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- enable USB Debugging in Developer Options menu.
– if you don’t know how to enable it or you can’t find Developer Options, then you will need to enable this menu, too.
- disable any antivirus app and the Samsung KIES from running on your PC during installation.
– for the updating process you will use the Odin3 v3.09 app, a small tool that allows you to push firmware tar.md5 files from computer to phone.
– antivirus and KIES apps might block Odin from running correctly.
- if you have rooted your Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black Edition, then this update will revoke root access.
- if your device has a custom Recovery installed on it, then the installation of stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM update will replace it with a stock recovery.
- if your device runs on a custom ROM, then the update will remove it and all the data that is stored on the system partition.
– if you install the update over a custom ROM you will also have to apply a ‘factory reset’ after KitKat 4.4.2 installation is complete. More info is listed at the end of the post.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50% – this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- this is a guide that should be applied by advanced Android users only.
- do not blame Android.gs if you brick the firmware of your device nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- read this whole guide and make sure that you won’t skip any steps if you want to apply the Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black Edition update at your first attempt.
Continue to the next part of this post after you’ve read all of the above and learn how to update your device with one of the latest KitKat 4.4.2 official builds.
How to flash Android 4.4.2 XXUCNE6 firmware on the Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black Edition:
- Download the I9195XXUCNE6 firmware zip from here.
– you will need an account at SamMobile in order to be able to download the file.
- Extract the contents of this zip file and save the .tar.md5 file on your PC.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– extract the contents to your PC.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot your Galaxy S4 mini LTE in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your computer.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB data cable.
– wait until your device is detected by the computer and Odin.
– if the phone is not recognized by Odin, then you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers (the link is in the guidelines above).
- If everything is set you simply need to click on ‘AP’ in Odin.
- Browse your computer for the I9195XXUCNE6 tar.md5 file and load it into Odin.
– make sure that the ‘Re-partition’ option is not enabled.
– don’t edit any other default Odin settings.
- Press the ‘START’ button when you’re ready for the updating process to begin.
– note that the process might take a while to complete the update, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until all files are installed with success.
- When Odin says ‘PASS’ and the phone reboots in normal mode you’re free to unplug the device from PC.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
Start testing the new Android 4.4.2 KitKat features and tell us in comments how is your Galaxy S4 LTE mini Black Edition running now that it has been updated.
If the installation was successful and the phone works without problems you can close this tutorial.
In case you’ve encountered any problems during update, then you can check the extra info under the notes below.
NOTE 1: In case Odin freezes and it cannot complete installation, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. Also, if ‘FAIL’ is displayed by Odin, then you should make sure to take a look at the guidelines above the tutorial and correctly setup your Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black model for the update.
Repeat the guide and make sure not to skip any steps.
NOTE 2: In case Odin says that the update was passed, but the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will have to apply a ‘Factory Reset’. This extra help is also needed in case your phone used to have a custom ROM installed on it prior to installing the Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update.
Here’s how to apply Factory Reset:
- switch off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- next, reboot the phone in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to go over in order to manually update your Galaxy S4 mini LTE Black Edition to official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUCNE6.
If you need any more help you should tell us in comments below.