The Galaxy S4 I9505 had received several custom updates until now, but if you haven’t installed your phone with a custom ROM, then I recommend you to try the new PACman software as the platform had just been made available for your device. As you might know, the Pacman platform is based on three other systems: CM10.1 AOKP and ParanoidAndroid ROMs. Therefore, you will update your SGS4 with a mixed OS that brings features, apps and capabilities ported from the CM10.1, AOKP and Paranoid Android firmwares, all for improving, customizing and optimizing the performances and the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 experience of your smartphone.
Each time when you are about to perform an update operation, the best will be to ensure that you know everything that’s related to the installation procedure and about the aspects that the same implies. So, before starting to flash the Pacman JB 4.2.2 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S4, do read all the lines from this tutorial; else you might skip important details that might be vital for your phone – flashing a custom software is not an official operation, so if something bad happens, or if you mess things up, there will be nobody to help you out.
A custom firmware is not an official update; the Pacman OS is not coming from Samsung and it’s not a stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. The system was developed by third party devs (those of xda-developers – we have them to thanks for this step by step guide) that mixed the CM10, AOKP and Paranoid Android platforms in order to develop the Pacman firmware. The present OS is based on stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2, meaning that a custom version of the same will be installed on your Galaxy S4.
Pacman is not yet fully stable as the ROM is still in development stage. Anyway, according to those who had already flashed and tested the firmware on their Galaxy S4 I9505 devices, the software can be safely applied for a daily use. Also, there are minor bugs included on the Android 4.2.2 JB OS, but the issues will soon be resolved by the devs so you have nothing to worry about.
But for being able to apply the update on your S4, you will first have to:
- Root your phone; a custom ROM or unofficial firmware can’t be OTA received thus you need to manually flash the same. Furthermore, if we are talking about custom updates, then unchaining the system of your device is a must have; so gain root access before going any further.
- Install a custom recovery image on your smartphone. Considering the same aspects (the ones mentioned above) the stock recovery that comes pre-installed on all the Android powered devices must be replaced with a custom one, like CWM or TWRP recovery. This custom tool will be used when you will have to install the .zip files from the SD card.
- Note: a custom recovery image can be applied only on rooted systems.
- The mentioned operations are unofficial ones: by completing the same the warranty of your Galaxy S4 will get voided.
- Note: you can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS, or by un-rooting the system of your phone.
- Before installing the CM10, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid based Pacman ROM on your Galaxy S4, make sure that you perform a backup operation. A wipe will be required so you must save your personal data, info, accounts and recent saves.
- Note: after rooting and installing the custom recovery image, you can make a Nandroid backup; in this way you can even save the current ROM, so if needed you can anytime restore the same.
Those were the operations required when dealing with custom updates. Now, you can safely flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based PACman custom firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S4. However, before applying the steps from below you also have to: ensure that you can have access to a computer, to your smartphone and to its USB cable; deactivate the security tools from the computer and device; enable the USB debugging option on your handset by going to “Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging”; charge the battery of your phone – do this if on your device you notice that the battery status is below 60% of power.
Finally, don’t complete this guide unless you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505. Apply the CM10, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid powered Pacman ROM by using this tutorial only on the mentioned smartphone, or else you might end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy S4 i9505 with PACman Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the required files.
- Go here and download the update file and then use the link from here and download the Google Apps package.
- Save the files on your computer; don’t unzip them.
- Connect your phone with the PC – use the USB cable.
- And transfer the downloaded files from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices – unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your S4.
- Reboot into recovery mode – press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – first backup the data.
- Return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Then select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the firmware file first and apply the same.
- Up next repeat the flashing operation and install the Google Apps package.
- Return to the recovery menu as showed above and select “reboot system now”.
- Your device should boot into Pacman ROM; if not (if you will get stuck in a boot loop) you will have to reboot into recovery once more; from there wipe the system again.
- Also, if the process gets interrupted you will have to force-restart your device and then you will have to repeat the update operation from the beginning.
- But if the first boot will take longer than usual, don’t worry, there is nothing wrong with your phone.
Congratulations, now you know how to update your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 with Pacman Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM. Remember that the firmware is a mixed platform between CM10, AOKP and Paranoid Android so important features and capabilities from those ROMs will be added to your Galaxy S4. Therefore, test the new software and the new capabilities and then share your impressions with us. Also, if there are bugs or things that aren’t working properly, share the problems by using the comments area from below so that anyone that’s interested in completing this guide can make a proper idea about this custom update.