Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with SlimBean Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM
Shortly after the Galaxy S4 release, Samsung made available the official stock firmwares (for almost all the versions of the S4), which was something like giving a new toy to a child – in our case to the third party devs community. That’s why now more and more Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based custom ROMs are being launched for the SGS4 I9505. Well, as usual, here on Android.gs we will be checking on how to install the latest custom software on your smartphone thus today I will teach you how to update the Galaxy S4 with the new version of Slim Bean Custom ROM firmware.
SlimBean is a popular custom software, the platform being designed to work on different Android based devices. Anyway, the present update is suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505. The best is that the firmware is stable as according to those who have already flashed the OS on their S4, there are no bugs or issues. Also, the Slim Bean system is based on the stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and comes with important features, apps and capabilities that will customize, optimize and improve your phone and its performances.
So, this is not an official JB 4.2.2 update released by Samsung for the Galaxy S4, which means that you can only manually install the SlimBean ROM. Furthermore, the firmware has been developed and offered by those of xda-developers so we have to thanks them for the present step by step guide / tutorial. Now, by following the next lines you will learn how to prepare your smartphone for the flashing operation and then you can check out which steps to use when trying to apply a custom ROM on the SGS4.
First of all you need to know that there must be applied some tasks before heading to the update operation. Therefore, before going any further take a look and also complete the things described below.
- You need to root your Galaxy S4; a custom ROM can be installed only on unchained systems, as the firmware has to access some internal files from the device.
- Unfortunately by gaining root access you will void the S4 warranty; this is happening because you will make changes into the default settings of your handset so this aspect can’t be avoided.
- The warranty can be restored but only by downgrading to stock ROM or by updating with an official update released by Samsung and suitable with your SGS4 I9505.
- After rooting your phone you also have to install a custom recovery image into its system. You have to replace the stock recovery because a .zip file can’t be installed by using the same, but a custom recovery tool will do the job.
- Backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone because a wipe will be required. You should consider in saving the text messages, the call logs, contacts list, EFS folder, market apps and internet settings.
- Then, I recommend you to use the recovery image for making a Nandroid backup; if the SlimBean ROM will not work properly on your Galaxy S4, then you will be able to restore the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS.
Those were the essential pre requisites. Now, you have to apply the general ones. So, first ensure that you can have access to a computer or notebook. Then, you will have to connect your phone with the PC, so the USB cable should be near you. Up next, on the computer and smartphone you should deactivate or uninstall the security settings and programs. Furthermore, on your S4 you should enable the USB debugging option and you should check the battery status as if there is less than 60% power left, you will have to plug in the charger.
Do remember that the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based Slim Bean custom ROM firmware has been developed by those of xda-developers so all the credits go to them. Furthermore, apply the next steps only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 because the tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned phone; else you will risk in bricking your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with SlimBean Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the firmware by using the link from here.
- Optional, download the add-ons by using the link from here.
- Save the files on your computer and don’t unzip the same.
- Take the USB cord and by using the same and your handset connect the S4 with the computer (first enable the USB debugging option).
- Then, copy the downloaded files from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord as the computer is no longer needed.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons.
- From recovery do a wipe (remember to backup the data first) by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- And this time select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can now pick the update file and flash the same.
- In the end, repeat the procedure if you want to apply the add-ons.
- Finally, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
So, that was all for today, as you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 to custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS. The Slim Bean ROM is running on your device so it will be a good idea to test the same now. Then, share your impressions with us by using the comments area from below and we will assist you as soon as possible. Don’t forget to check the other firmware that are being available for your device by going to our “update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505” page.