The Galaxy S4 is running on the latest version of the Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware; also since it is Samsung’s latest flagship, its owners will be among the first to receive the upcoming Android 4.3 update, so when talking about stock or official Android software and updates the SGS4 is the best. But, if you want to spice thing up a little bit, then you can try to install a custom ROM on your smartphone; and the latest custom update that has been released for the Galaxy S4 is the JB 4.2.2 based SynergyROM.
So, during the present step by step guide I will show you how to manually update your Galaxy S4 model number I9505 with the Synergy custom ROM firmware, all the details needed for the flashing procedure being explained and detailed below. Anyhow, remember that this is not an official update released by Samsung for your S4 as we are dealing with an unofficial port of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 system. So, consider this tutorial complex and risky – read all the lines from below, don’t perform things without consulting my directions and everything will be fine.
The SynergyROM is being developed by those of xda-developers; actually more devs are standing behind the Synergy firmware, so we are dealing with a powerful project that is being designed to improve, customize and optimize the Android platform. Well, the same will happen on your Galaxy S4, as once you will install the JB 4.2.2 powered SynergyROM, your phone will be improved meaning that you will gain speed, more power, an upgraded battery life and so on.
As mentioned SynergyROM is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, but you will not receive the default version of the same; the firmware is coming with its own features, apps, tools, capabilities and looks. Therefore your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be installed with custom and powerful software that is rooted, deodexed, debloated and zipaligned. Also, the ROM comes with Busybox and SuperSU, so don’t have to deal with these “aspects” anymore.
Now, as usual, before installing a custom ROM update, you first have to prepare your phone for the flashing operation. That’s why you need to read and apply the things mentioned during the following list.
- Gain root access and unchain the system of your Galaxy S4. You need to do this because a custom ROM is not related to Samsung or Google and you can install the firmware only after removing the factory and default restrictions.
- Up next, you need to flash a custom recovery image on your phone. Due to same considerations, a custom software can be applied only by using custom tools, so the stock recovery can’t be used in our case.
- The warranty will get void because you will make changes to the internal system of your device and because you will complete an unofficial operation. That’s why you need to be careful when applying the steps from below.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock OS or by updating to official Android firmware.
- The best will be to backup the S4 data before performing other stuffs. Furthermore you should also know that for being able to update your handset with the SynergyROM a wipe will have to be completed – you will use the custom recovery image for doing the same (more about this a little bit later).
- So, make a Nandroid backup and then apply a basic backup operation for saving the contacts, market apps, messages, accounts, personal info, EFS and so on.
After taking care of the essential pre requisites you should also consider that a computer will be required, meaning that you will have to connect your smartphone to the same; so your S4 and its USB cable must be near you. Then, as usual, first of all enable the USB debugging option on your device – else you won’t be able to properly connect the devices. Some files will have to be downloaded on your computer which means that it is recommended to deactivate the security protection first – the download process might be interrupted by the security programs. The update process will take a few minutes so your phone must have enough battery life left – if there is less than 50% power left, plug in the charger.
Apply the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based SynergyROM by using this step by step guide only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505; the tutorial is working only for the mentioned device so be careful and try not to mess things up.
Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with SynergyROM Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Firmware
- First of all, download the update file on your computer – use the link from here.
- Don’t unzip the firmware file.
- The Google Apps package is included in the update so you don’t have to download it separately.
- Transfer the downloaded file from your computer to your phone’s SD card (via USB cord).
- Then, disconnect the handset from the computer (remove the USB cable).
- And turn off your S4.
- Reboot by pressing on the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons together.
- Now, the recovery mode menu will be displayed.
- Use the same and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return -> “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Get the firmware file and flash the same on your handset.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- Select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Good job guys, now your Samsung Galaxy S4 is running on a new software. The SynergyROM custom firmware has been successfully installed which means that your Galaxy S4 I9505 has been updated with a custom version of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Use the comments area from below if you have questions or if you have something to share with our team.