Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with XenonHD JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM
A new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based custom ROM firmware has been released for the Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 and by using the present tutorial you will be able to learn how to flash the new software on your handset. The ROM is dubbed as XenonHD and comes with many stock and extra features, apps and capabilities that will power up, improve, customize and optimize the performances and the looks of your Galaxy S4. If you want to learn more about the XenonHD JB 4.2.2 custom ROM, or if you want to flash the firmware on your S4, then check the following lines.
When applying operations similar with this one, you should ensure that you know everything that’s related to the same. So, you are dealing with an unofficial port of the Android 4.2.2 system and not with an official Jelly Bean update released by Samsung for your Galaxy S4. The XenonHD custom ROM has been developed and offered by the Team Horizon so we should thank them for this step by step guide. And since you will flash a custom software don’t expect to receive the stock JB 4.2.2 experience as the OS will be coming with its own features and looks.
So, until now you know for sure that this tutorial is not an official operation. That’s why by completing the same you will void the SGS4 warranty. This aspect isn’t permanent because you can anytime restore the lost warranty. For that you will have to downgrade your handset to stock Android OS, or to update with an official Android firmware provided by Samsung and Google. Due to same considerations, consider this guide complex and risky, try to read all the lines from the same and also try not to mess things up.
This is the official release of the XenonHD custom ROM, so the firmware is stable and will smoothly run on your Galaxy S4 I9505. XenonHD is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, but there have been added extra – that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system – features, apps and capabilities which means that your phone will be upgraded, customized and also optimized. Xenon HD is rooted, installed with BusyBox and SuperSU, has Init.d support and brings many other important features that will upgrade the battery life and improve the performances and the JB experience that is currently running on your Galaxy S4.
If you want to install the XenonHD Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 then you should first learn how to prepare your phone for the flashing operation; in order to make things right I recommend you to read and apply the lines from below.
- Remember that the warranty will get void.
- You need to previously root your smartphone because the XenonHD software can be applied only on unchained systems.
- Then, you also have to install a custom recovery image on your phone; the stock recovery isn’t useful when dealing with unofficial Android ports.
- A good idea is to backup the S4 data because a wipe will be required. So, if you want to save your text messages, call logs, EFS folder, market apps, contacts list, internet settings, personal info and accounts don’t hesitate and complete a backup.
- I recommend you to save the current ROM; if you don’t like the XenonHD firmware then you can easily restore the stock Android OS – so complete a Nandroid backup.
The rest of the pre requisites are general ones that are mentioned on all the manual update operations; the preparation tasks are referring to: you need to use a computer or notebook, your phone and its USB cord; on the computer and on the smartphone you should first deactivate / uninstall the security tools; your phone must have at least 60% power left, else you need to charge the battery; the USB debugging option must be enabled on your device.
That’s it; now you are prepared for the update operation. Do remember though that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505 so use the next steps for installing the XenonHD JB 4.2.2 custom ROM only on the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy S4 I9505 with XenonHD JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- You need to download two files on your computer: the firmware and the Google Apps package.
- You can get the ROM from here, while for the Google apps package you should use the link from here.
- Save the files on the Desktop and don’t unzip the same.
- Connect your S4 with the computer – via USB cable.
- Place the downloaded files from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off your phone.
- Enter recovery mode – reboot while pressing on Power, Volume Up and home buttons.
- Use the recovery menu for wiping the system – remember to backup the data first; so select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to recovery and from there select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file and flash the ROM.
- Return, repeat the process and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Good job, you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based XenonHD custom ROM firmware. If you need help, or if you had problems while applying the steps from above, don’t hesitate and contact us – use the comments area from below. Also, do tell us how the ROM works on your S4 and if you like its performances. Also, stay close for further tutorial and Android related tips and tricks.