Galaxy S4 Zoom had received an OTA update, the firmware dubbed as XXUAMFB being rolled out in limited markets only. So, if you own the SM-C101 version of the S4 Zoom and want to install the stock and official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS on your smartphone, use this guide and learn how to manually flash a new software on your phone. This tutorial is an alternative for the OTA method and can be used by all the Galaxy S4 Zoom users that want to apply the XXUAMFB update; don’t use the next steps if you own a different version of the Galaxy S4, or if you want to install a different ROM on your device.
The JB 4.2.2 XXUAMFB has been release by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 Zoom in Nigeria, but the ROM can be flashed manually on any SM-C101 handset – all you have to do is to follow and apply the next lines from below. During the same we will be checking how to prepare your smartphone for the update operation and then I will show you how to easily install the stock / official Android Jelly Bean software on your S4 Zoom. So, all the details needed are being explained here.
Since this is an official update operation, root access isn’t required; the tutorial can be applied on both rooted and unrooted smartphones though – if your S4 is rooted, then the root access will be revoked. Furthermore, the warranty won’t be voided – actually by flashing the JB 4.2.2 XXUAMFB OS on your S4 Zoom, you can restore the warranty if it has been previously voided. So, you have nothing to worry about as the guide is safe.
A backup is still recommended though as is rare cases the data might get corrupted. So, for avoiding the unpleasant situations from happening, before anything else, use suitable backup and restore tools (from Google Play) and save your personal info and accounts, the text messages, call logs, EFS folder and so on. After that, resume the rest of the guidelines from below.
After that, complete the pre requisites from below.
- You will have to install the firmware from a Windows running computer so make sure that you can use one.
- On the computer the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom drivers must be installed. If you don’t have the drivers, install Samsung KIES and use the tool for completing this task.
- Next, from your computer deactivate the security protection – the antivirus programs are interfering with the update operation.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone – you need to do this because you will have to connect your handset with the computer.
- Charge the battery of your S4 Zoom – do this if there is less than 60% power left; else your smartphone might get turned off and bricked while you will be trying to flash the stock / official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMFB Firmware.
The last aspect to consider: apply this step by step guide only if you own the SM-C101 version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom because the JB 4.2.2 update has been released only for the mentioned device. Using this guide for updating a similar or different handset with the same firmware will probably brick your Android based device, so try not to mess things up.
How to Update Galaxy S4 Zoom SM-C101 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXUAMFB Firmware
- Download Odin on your computer.
- Unzip the file.
- Install the program.
- Download the update file from here and save the file on your computer.
- Unzip the update on desktop.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Remember to install the SGS4 Zoom drivers before going any further.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into download mode.
- For download mode you should press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together for a couple of seconds.
- With the handset booted in download mode connect the device with the computer via USB cable.
- Odin must recognize your S4 Zoom: the “added” message must be displayed and the ID:COM section must be yellow or blue.
- If not, try to reinstall the drivers – first close Odin and unplug the USB cable.
- If everything is working as explained, from Odin select the option named “PDA”.
- Then, click on “start” – don’t perform other changes on Odin (the re-partition option must be unchecked).
- Wait while the update is being installed.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed: you can unplug the USB cord and reboot your phone.
- If a boot loop is your problem, reboot into recovery mode (Power, Home and Volume Up) and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- If Odin gets stuck: close the program, unplug the USB cord, force restart the Galaxy S4 Zoom, reflash the drivers and repeat the update operation from the beginning.
- For any other issues, use this step by step guide.
Congratulations you have updated your Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom to latest and official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Test the new XXUAMFB system and see how it performs – if possible share your impressions with us by using the comments section from below. Also, stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.