If you own a Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 handset, but your thoughts are flying towards the newest Galaxy S3, we have something exciting for you. A new custom ROM, named Remix UX, is available for updating your SL Android system and the best part is related to the features which will be installed once you flash this firmware on your phone. The Remix UX software is being based on the Galaxy S3 ICS OS, meaning that most of its capabilities will be now ported to your Galaxy SL. That’s not all, as many other aspects are being summarized during the next lines.
As you can already tell, this is not an official update provide by Samsung, so you will have to complete a manual method in order to apply the same. The process will be easy to understand and to follow, not to mention that the tutorial explained here can be completed in just a few minutes. You have nothing to worry about as you are in safe hands. But for ensuring that you are making all as it should you must read all the lines from the present guide; don’t skip any section.
For being able to update the Galaxy SL I9003 with the Galaxy S3 based Remix UX Custom ROM Firmware, you must first gain root access on your handset. A root procedure is explained on our previous tutorials, search for it and learn how to deal with such an operation. Then, return here and do the rest of the steps. Be aware that once you root the system, the warranty will get void. SO, be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up. If you brick your phone, you will be on your own.
Flashing a custom ROM is maybe the most powerful operation that can be completed on an Android based device. The firmware is having numerous features that will power up the capabilities. Some of the advantages are referring to: an improved battery life, more speed, more access to the internal system, optimization and customization operations now available, unchained system from the default restrictions, new themes and a new interface, etc. For making a proper idea, here are the Remix UX main features, the ones that will be ported on your Galaxy SL.
Beside the up mentioned list, your smartphone will receive the S3 themes and interface along with many other interesting background images and personalization skills. Your SL will be your new playground and your friends will surely be impressed. Unfortunately, there are some bugs too, but from what we know a further update will be provided in order to remove them. The update was developed and first tested by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide.
In order to properly flash the Remix UX ROM on your SL I9003 a full wipe will be required. So, do a backup first. You can backup the contacts, messages, market apps, internet settings, call logs, calendar info and even the current ROM therefore don’t think twice and perform a full backup. In this way you can be sure that your personal info are in safe hands. For the backup task you can use free apps from Google Play, or you can search for suitable guides through our archive. Then, the only thing left before starting the proper tutorial is the list from below. There are the pre requisites, so don’t skip it.
- Root the Galaxy SL.
- Check if your phone has more than 60% battery power. If not, charge it.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running PC.
- Uninstall all the security tools that run and protect your device and your computer.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Well, you can now safely install the firmware on your SL. Apply the guide only on a Galaxy SL model number I9003 and not on similar smartphones as you can damage the system.
How to Update Galaxy SL with Galaxy S3 based Remix UX Custom ROM Firmware
- First of all, download the file from here (download link) and save the same on your computer.
- Up next, you have to copy the file from the PC to your phone’s SD card.
- So, take the USB cord and the device and connect it to the computer.
- Place the file and then remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the SL and reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode menu can be accessed by holding the Volume Down Key and OK button while powering on.
- First, as mentioned before, you must make a wipe.
- So, select “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then, for flashing the ROM, return to the recovery menu.
- From there, now choose “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”; just pick the file copied before (see step 2 and 3).
- Now, wait until the process ends.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you are done. Your Galaxy SL I9003 should now run the Galaxy S3 based Remix UX Custom ROM Firmware. So, what do you think, is this software good enough for you, or you rather prefer to reinstall the old ROM? If there are bugs in the system do tell us as we will bring a new method for updating your SL. Also, if during the up-explained method you encountered issues, share them in the comments area from below, and we will try to bring suitable solutions in order to resolve your problems.