With the official Gingerbread 2.3.4 Arabic update released and available for download for the Galaxy SL I9003 United Arab Emirates and Pakistan users, some of us might wonder when will a similar firmware will be launched for the European or US users of the same I9003 handset. Well, we don’t have to wait no more, thanks to the MIUI custom ROM, which has been tested on a Galaxy SL device.
The xda-developers are responsible for this, so we have to thank them. Now, during the following you can learn, in the easiest way possible, how to flash the v10 2.3.16 of the MIUI ROM into your phone’s internal system. This means that the Galaxy SL I9003 Android based operating system will be updated with a powerful firmware, which is bringing features and capabilities that will power up the performances of your smartphone. You will get an experience comparable with the Ice Cream Sandwich one, so let’s get started.
This update isn’t released official by Samsung; installing it will make you void the warranty, so think twice before applying the firmware. If you somehow manage to wreck the phone system (this is happening rarely and only if you don’t follow a step by step guide such the one from here) then you will be on your own. So, if you are not sure about what you are about to do, then maybe it will be better to stop here.
I’ve tried to explain everything in the easiest way possible so everybody can understand what to do. The procedure will take only a couple of minutes; all you have to do is to follow my directions. Read carefully and don’t skip sections of the guide as you might damage your SL handset. Remember that the MIUI custom ROM detailed in this post can be installed only on the Galaxy SL I9003 so don’t try to flash it on a different smartphone.
For those who don’t know, MIUI is one of the most used ROM designed to work for the Android platform. It is similar with CyanogenMod, being based on an AOSP build of Froyo (Android 2.2). MIUI is a Chinese customized version of the Android OS, built from stock with additional features and capabilities taken from devices and software like Samsung’s TouchWiz launcher, iPhone’s looks and the full potential of Android 2.2 platform. You can take advantage of it without having any particular Google apps on your phone; it isn’t preinstalled when you first buy your device and once you have it you won’t have to wait anymore for Gingerbread or, for any OS updates as the MIUI developers will take care of that.
You must install the MIUI custom ROM on your Galaxy SL I9003 if you want to improve its speed, unchain its system from the factory restrictions, gain control over the OS, improve the battery life, or if you want to customize and optimize the appearances, the menu and the entire system. Now, being only in the beta stage of developing, the firmware is also having some issues. In the images from below you can see the features added along with the things that are not working; check them out.
Before beginning there are some things you must complete. In order to succeed you need to have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to your device and to its USB cord. Then, the PC and the phone must be prepared:
- Applying the OS update might wipe the data out from the SL I9003. Backup the data from its storage memory.
- Check the battery status. For making through the whole procedure, there should be more than 60% (70% recommended) power left; if not charge the handset.
- Temporary deactivate the antivirus and Firewall programs from both, the computer and the phone.
- Enable the USB debugging in your smartphone. For completing this, just go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. You can enable the USB debugging only when the phone is disconnected from the computer.
How to update Galaxy SL I9003 with 2.3.16 MIUI custom ROM firmware
- First, download the tools needed; make sure you get the MIUI v10 2.3.16 Firmware Zip package (from here), Bravia Engine (here), SONY XCloud (here), Beats Audio (here) and Swap to SD (here) and place them to the computer.
- Connect the smartphone with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 from the computer to your phone’s SD Card.
- Disconnect the Galaxy SL I9003 from the PC by removing the USB cable.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. This can be achieved by holding (simultaneously) the Volume Down Key and OK button while pressing the Power button.
- In the recovery menu you must select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card” and pick the files (downloaded in step 1) located on the SD card.
- The update operation will now begin.
- When the procedure is done you will be back on the recovery menu. Here, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
Finally, now you know how to update the Galaxy SL I9003 with 2.3.16 MIUI custom ROM firmware. Tell us how things went, or if you had any troubles on your way.