As you know, Galaxy SL I9003 will no longer receive OTA updates due to hardware limitations, so if you want to test the latest Android features on your own smartphone, you will have to flash a custom ROM firmware. If you want to do so, then check the present step by step guide as I will try to help you out. By using the guidelines from below you will be able to learn how to update your Samsung Galaxy SL to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS and this by installing the latest version of SlimBean custom ROM software.
Android 4.3 SlimBean custom ROM is coming with all the goodies that are being available on the Android market and I am referring to the latest features, apps and capabilities. Furthermore, if you choose to apply Slim Bean JB 4.3 firmware on your Galaxy SL you will also receive extra features that cannot be found on the stock Android 4.3 system, features that are mainly ported from the CM10.2 platform. The best is that this version of SlimBean is stable, comes without bugs and issues and according to those who have already tested it, the ROM is smoothly running on the Galaxy SL I9003.
Like any other custom update, SlimBean is a free aftermarket distribution of Android OS. In our case, the software is based on stock Android 4.3 Jelly Bean software, so the same will be installed on your Galaxy SL. Therefore, it should be clear for you that this update is not official and it is not coming from Samsung or Google. Actually, it has been developed by those of xda-developers (third party devs) so we should thanks them for the present step by step guide.
Since SlimBean is a custom ROM, for being able to install the Android 4.3 firmware on your Galaxy SL you will first have to root your smartphone. Root access is required because the software will have to access some inbuilt programs from the internal system and this access can be granted only by root. Of course, the warranty of your handset will get voided since root isn’t official and since you will remove the factory and default restrictions from your device. Anyway, if you will need to, the warranty can be restored by downgrading your Galaxy SL to stock Android OS.
After gaining root access, install a custom recovery image on your phone because the stock recovery can’t be used when trying to apply custom updates. So, I recommend CWM or TWRP recovery but you can apply any other custom recovery as long as it will smoothly run on your SL I9003. After taking care of these processes return here and resume the rest of the guidelines from below.
Backup the Galaxy SL data because, on the update operation, a wipe will be performed. When wiping the system, your data will be erased, so you can lose everything that’s important to you and I am talking about contacts list, call logs, market apps and so on. Since your device is rooted and installed with a custom recovery image, consider in backing up the current ROM and in saving the EFS folder too.
On the other hand, for this guide you will have to: make sure that you can use a computer, your smartphone and its USB cable; enable USB debugging option by going to “settings -> applications -> development”; charge the battery of your handset if the battery status is displaying less than 60% power left; deactivate the security protection that is running on both computer and Galaxy SL. If your device gets turned off during the update operation you will risk in bricking it so don’t forget to plug the charger in.
Finally, do remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 which means that you shouldn’t apply the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based SlimBean custom ROM by using the steps from below in case you own a similar or different handset as you can end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy SL I9003 to Android 4.3 JB with SlimBean custom ROM Firmware
- Download the firmware file by using the link from this page.
- Save the update on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the package just place it on desktop.
- Now, connect your Galaxy SL with your computer; use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Then, copy-paste or drag and drop the update file from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- Good, next unplug the USB cable as we are done with using the computer.
- Turn off your handset.
- Boot it into recovery mode: learn how to enter recovery mode by using this step by step guide.
- A wipe should be performed at this point; so select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “advance” and choose “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return, and from the main menu of recovery select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select and pick the firmware file.
- Start the flashing operation.
- In the end, return to recovery main menu and select “reboot system now”.
- If your Galaxy SL will get stuck in a boot loop (if the first boot will take longer than usual, you have nothing to worry about) you will have to return to recovery menu and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; reboot and that’s it.
Congratulations, you have completed the present tutorial which means that now your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 is running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. You have successfully installed the latest version of SlimBean custom ROM firmware on your smartphone so test the same and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments field from below.