Update Galaxy SL I9003 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Remics Custom ROM
Even though the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 is already history, its specs and features being now only mid-range ones, its users can still improve the performances of their devices by updating with a custom ROM firmware. Furthermore, by doing the same the Galaxy SL will be updated to custom Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software, so you will be able to test the latest Android apps and features on your own smartphone. If I have aroused your attention, then check the following lines and learn how to install the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based Remics ROM on the Galaxy SL.
First, remember that the Galaxy SL will no longer receive official updates from Samsung due to hardware limitations, so updating with custom ROMs is all that you can do for improving the OS, the performances and capabilities of your phone. Currently Gingerbread is the stock firmware for the SL, but as you know, there are many ICS and now Jelly Bean based custom platforms available for your device; you can take a look over our “update Samsung Galaxy SL I9003” section for suitable tutorials.
So, in order to conclude the up mentioned lines, here is what you need to know so far: the Remics system is not an official Jelly Bean update for your Galaxy SL; in fact we are dealing with a custom ROM firmware, which means that this guide is risky and complex. Because of that you need to read all the next lines or else you can end up in bricking your handset. Furthermore, the SL will not receive the ICS or Jelly Bean touch so installing a custom firmware is the only solution for those who want to enjoy the same.
It is important to begin this tutorial with a backup operation because, as you will see below, during the update procedure a system wipe will be required. That means that all of your data which is being saved on the Samsung Galaxy SL internal storage memory will be erased. Therefore, take your time and backup the contacts list, EFS folder, market apps, text messages, personal info and everything else you might need. Also, it is recommended to make a Nandroid backup; in this way you can save / restore the stock ROM.
Now, for being able to install the Jelly Bean based Remics custom ROM on the Galaxy SL, you first need to root your smartphone. The firmware will have to access some internal programs and by rooting the system, the mentioned access will be granted. Be careful because by rooting the warranty gets void. Don’t worry though, as you can anytime restore it; all you need to do for getting back the warranty is a downgrade to stock Gingerbread OS operation, or to apply a un-root procedure. If you don’t know how to root the Galaxy SL, then you can use our root procedures: choose between a general root method that can be applied on almost all the Android based devices, or use a Samsung dedicated one click root solution; both operations are working perfectly so choose the one that you prefer the most.
After rooting the OS, you need to install a custom recovery image on your Samsung Galaxy SL. The Remics Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM can be flashed only by using the recovery image tool, so don’t skip this part. Then, complete the rest of the pre requisites (which are being detailed during the next list) for ensuring that everything will go as planned.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook, so the phone and its USB cable should be near you. The Remics firmware will be downloaded on the computer and then will be transferred on your device.
- Deactivate all the security tools that are being installed on the computer and Galaxy SL. If an antivirus program is running on your devices, uninstall the same before going any further.
- Also make sure that your phone has enough battery life for staying alive during the flashing operation; charge the battery if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- On your handset go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and make sure that the USB debugging option is enabled.
- This tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy SL model number I9003; don’t install the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based Remics ROM on a similar or different smartphone because you will risk in bricking your Android powered devices.
How to Update Galaxy SL I9003 to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Remics Custom ROM Firmware
- From here download the update file.
- Save the firmware on your computer first; don’t extract the file.
- Now, connect your phone with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Take the update file from the computer and place it to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Now, turn off the handset.
- Reboot it into recovery mode.
- Then, by using the recovery mode menu, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; remember to backup the data first.
- Return to the main menu by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the firmware file from the SD card and start the update process.
- In the end, just select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
- If somehow you will get a boot loop, the reboot into recovery once more and apply the wipe again.
Congratulations, you have completed the steps by step guide meaning that now you can safely use your Galaxy SL device. Your phone has been updated with the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based Remics custom ROM firmware, so I recommend you to test the software and check if there are bugs or issues included in the system (according to those of xda-developers – the ROM was developed by them – the Remics system is stable). Do tell us how things worked for you and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.