The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is currently running on the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 OS, but if you want to spice things up then you can anytime choose to install a custom ROM firmware into its system. As you know, last year we have showed you how to flash the preview built of the CM10.1 firmware on your Tab 2 and update to Android 4.2, but if you want an even better platform, then I recommend you to try the new Codename Lungo software, which has just been released by those of xda-developers.
The Codename Lungo ROM is actually an improved version of the CM10.1 system, meaning that you will update your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean; of course we are talking about an custom Android OS, as this is not an official upgrade released by Samsung for your Tab 2. Therefore, if you want to test and install a new platform that comes with its own looks, features, capabilities and apps then, you must learn how to apply the Codename Lungo firmware. This tutorial will take you through the installation procedure, so just read and perform the below lines and steps.
This ROM is rooted bloatware free and promises an improved battery life and increased speeds for your Galaxy Tab 2. There are also numerous features and apps added into the system, so if you want to check the full list of improvements I recommend you to go here, as you will be able to find all the info needed through our source page. Then, if you do want to install the CM10.1 powered Codename Lungo Android 4.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 resume the rest of this guide.
From now on we will be starting the update process; first prepare the device or else you will not be able to apply the firmware (just complete the pre requisites list).
- In order to succeed with this step by step guide you must root your tablet. The software will need to access the internal system of your device and this access can be granted only by rooting the OS.
- Then, after gaining root access, you will have to download and install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, which will used a little bit later for applying the Codename Lungo update on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
- A backup operation must be completed before starting the flashing operation. You will have to wipe the system of your tablet which means that you will lose all of your personal saves and info. Therefore, backup the text messages, contacts, market apps and everything you need; also you can even make a Nandroid backup.
The steps from above must be performed, or else you will not eb able to update your Galaxy Tab 2. Now, as mentioned we are dealing with a custom ROM which implies in voiding the warranty of your handset. Once you start the rooting procedure, you will be making changes into the internal system of your device, so the warranty will be void. For restoring the same you will have to downgrade your Tab 2 7.0 to stock Jelly Bean OS, or wait for an official update to be released by Samsung; then, the root access will be revoked, the factory restrictions reinstalled, the flash counter reset and the warranty regained.
Up next, as this is a manual method, you should also take a look over the general pre requisites. Similar as above I have described them during a list of tasks. Read the preparation procedures and make sure that everything is checked before beginning the proper step by step guide.
- The CM10.1 based Codename Lungo Custom ROM can be installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 only by using a computer / notebook, because the update file must first be downloaded on the same.
- Furthermore, the tablet’s USB cable should be there too.
- In order to avoid the unpleasant situations, before going any further on your computer and on your device uninstall all the security tools.
- Also, it is a good idea to charge the Tab, or at least ensure that your device has more than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset.
- Most relevant, this tutorial must be completed only by those who own the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-3100 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-3110. Completing this guide for a similar tablet will make you brick your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with CM10.1 based Codename Lungo Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file for GT-3110 from here and for GT-3100 from here.
- From here you can also download the add-ons (optional).
- Save the file on the computer.
- Take the USB cable and by using the same connect the tablet with the computer.
- Place the download file from the computer to your device.
- Turn off the Galaxy Tab.
- Enter recovery mode.
- Recovery mode can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time.
- The recovery menu will be displayed and by using it first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back+++”.
- And then choose “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same.
- Repeat the process for installing the add-ons package.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That’s it, the guide has been completed. Now the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is running the CM10.1 powered Codename Lungo Android 4.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Use the comments area from below for sharing your experience with us and do tell how things worked for you while trying to apply the software on your tablet. If there were problems we will try to resolve the same in the shortest time possible.