Samsung officially rolled out the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware (dubbed as XXDMG6) for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as the first users from France have received the first notifications. I’m talking about the 3G users of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (model number P3100) which should receive the JB 4.2.2 OTA anytime now. But, do note that since this is the official release, the Android 4.2.2 software will come in phases as the update is being launched gradually. If you want to rush things up, then skip the waiting, and learn how to manually install the JB 4.2.2 XXDMG6 OS on your Tab 2 7.0 3G model.
Do note first that we are dealing with the official Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update that can be installed on the Tab 2 7.0 as since now only custom ROMs were available for the mentioned device. The update brings the latest features, apps and capabilities for your Android based tablet, though we are not dealing with a major improvement as the Tab 2 is currently running on Android 4.1 system. Anyway, all of us are waiting for the Android 4.3 firmware though there are no words related to a future release of the same – for the Tab 2 as the software is already available for several devices.
Then, it should be clear for you that this tutorial will manually take you through the installation procedure of the Android 4.2.2 JB XXDMG6 OS. The manual method should be applied if the 3G Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is rooted (on rooted handsets the OTA releases can’t be received or installed) or if you can’t wait until the OTA embraces your tablet. Also, if your device is powered by a custom ROM now you will be able to restore the default Android OS, which means that you will also restore the warranty back – when rooting and updating with custom ROMs the warranty gets void, so now you will be able to revert.
Unfortunately if your tablet is currently rooted, now after applying the JB XXDMG6 firmware, the root access will be revoked, so you will have to re-root your Tab 2 7.0 afterwards by following a new guide suitable with the new version of the Android platform. Don’t worry though as this tutorial is compatible with both rooted and locked devices.
Even though a stock software will be flashed on your Tab, before starting the proper guide backup your data, personal info and accounts. In some cases the data gets corrupted or even wiped out, meaning that you can lose everything that’s saved on the storage memory. So, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, I recommend you to take your time for completing a full backup. If you’re on a rooted tablet with CWM recovery, use the same and save the current ROM too.
Make sure that you can use a computer, on which you will have to install Odin (more details about this will be offered a little bit later). The JB 4.2.2 ROM will be installed via Odin, so you have nothing to worry about – Odin is an official tool developed and offered by Samsung. Since you will use Odin, your tablet and its USB cable are also required. The XXDMG6 package will be downloaded on your computer, so the security protection must be temporarily deactivated – deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection. You will have to connect your Tab 2 7.0 with the PC so from Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Developer Options tap on USB debugging for enabling the same. Finally, make sure that your tablet has enough battery life (more than 60%) or else your device will get turned off in the middle of the flashing process.
Also, remember that this guide is compatible only with the 3G model of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, which is model number P3100. Installing the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXDMG6 on a different handset will probably brick your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXDMG6 Firmware
- Odin can be properly used only if your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 drivers are being installed on your computer. If the drivers are not there, get them manually or use Samsung KIES.
- Download Odin on your computer.
- Unzip the file on your PC and install the same.
- Also, run Odin on your computer.
- Finally, go here and download the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 file.
- Place the file on desktop and on the same place unzip the package.
- Enter the Tab 2 in download mode.
- For download mode first turn off your handset; wait a few seconds and then press on Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time.
- Connect your device with the computer via USB cable.
- Odin will recognize your tablet and on the program you will see the “added” message displayed and the ID:COM section blue or yellow.
- If not, resolve the problems by reinstalling the drivers on the computer.
- From Odin click on the option named “PDA”.
- Pick the update file from your computer.
- The re-partition section and the f. reset time box should be unchecked.
- Click on “start”.
- The XXDMG6 Firmware will now be installed.
- In the end on Odin the ID:COM section will be green and the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Then, you will be able to unplug the USB cable; also reboot your device.
Congratulations you have manually updated your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 – 3G variant of the tablet – to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXDMG6 OS. The firmware comes with the latest features and apps so test the same in order to see the improvements. Also, return here and resume your conclusions with us and stay close as more step by step guide will be developed for your Android based tablet.