How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is ready to receive the official Jelly Bean update, as in India the test version of the software has just been leaked. This firmware will be OTA released but only in the coming weeks, so until then, if you will want to enjoy the Android 4.1 experience on your own device you will have to manually install the same. This is exactly what you can learn during the present step by step guide as I will show you the easiest way available for updating the Tab 2 to Jelly Bean ROM.
For completing this method we will make things similar as for updating the Galaxy Note 10.1 to official OTA Jelly Bean firmware, so you have nothing to worry about; you are in good hands. Of course, you need to prepare the Tab 2 before applying the steps, but that shouldn’t be a problem for you, as you have it all explained below. Remember that this is only the test version of the ROM, so it might take a while until the official launch; so if you just can’t wait you will have to perform a manual procedure as the OTA method can’t be completed.
As usual, when we want to apply an official update that hasn’t been yet worldwide offered, we have to use Odin for the installation operation. Therefore, you will have to download the tool (a Windows running computer with Internet connection must be near you) and use the same for updating your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Be aware as this is being considered a risky operation; you must ensure that you are applying things according to the lines from this tutorial and not by yourselves as you can easily end up in bricking your Android powered device.
Now, even though you are dealing with an official update, you still have to backup the data first. As you will see, by installing the Android 4.1 OS, the data which is saved on the Tab 2 internal storage memory will be wiped out. So, you have to backup the text messages, the contacts, call logs and even the current ROM (you can return to it in case you can’t use the new one). For more details you can access the mentioned links as you can easily follow and use suitable how to guides which will ease things up for you.
For being able to apply and use the Jelly Bean ROM, your Galaxy Tab 2 must feature the P3100DDBLH3 firmware. If not, don’t worry, as I will show you how to previously flash it on your device, so that it can be prepared for the update that will follow. The download links are being displayed during the steps; be patience and complete the rest of the pre requisites.
You don’t need to have a rooted Galaxy Tab, because you will flash the stock ROM on your tablet and not a firmware that requires an unchained system for being able to run properly. Furthermore, if you recently installed a custom ROM on your device, now you will be able to regain its warranty and relock the bootloader. If the Tab is already rooted, then the root access will be revoked, so you will have to re-root the new OS afterwards but only by following a new guide suitable with the new software.
Finally, just before the proper steps, you need to deactivate the security tools that are installed on your computer and tablet. Then, on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 enable the USB debugging option. There should be enough power left, so if the battery status displays less than 70% power, charge your device first. Remember to backup the data and don’t apply this tutorial unless you own the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablet, or else you can brick your handset.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Official Jelly Bean OS
- First of all download the firmware required for the OTA update.
- The download link is here.
- Save the file and extract it to your computer.
- Also, download and extract Odin.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Turn off the Tab.
- Reboot in download mode: press and hold Volume Down while powering on.
- In download mode connect the device with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Once you do that, on Odin you should see the “added” message and also the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, try to re-install the drivers on your PC and then re-do the above mentioned steps.
- If everything is fine, on Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the downloaded file and click “Start”.
- In the end the “pass” message should be displayed; disconnect the device and reboot it.
- Now, download the OTA update file from here to your computer.
- Connect the Tab again with the PC.
- Select the OTA file and copy-paste it to your tablet (to its SD card).
- Unplug the USB cable and turn off the handset.
- Reboot in recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up button while powering on.
- From recovery first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Up next, from the same recovery menu select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the OTA file from the SD card and flash the same.
- When the installation procedure is over, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That is all you need to do; now, your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is running the official Jelly Bean OS, which was made available in India. As mentioned the update is still in its test stage, so you cannot OTA update your Tab. Do tell us how things worked for you or share the possible problems and questions with us by using the comments area from below. Stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips.