Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 with SlimBean (build 6) JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM
After we have learned that Jelly Bean will be the last official update to be released by Samsung for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, more and more custom ROMs have been developed for the mentioned tablet. But, if you want the best for your device, then you should try the new version – build 6 – of SlimBean Custom ROM firmware. The software is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, so by completing this step by step guide you will update your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with a custom version of the same.
The Slim Bean platform is already available for the Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 and even for the Galaxy S4, so you have nothing to worry about; those who have already tried the custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM had declared that the system is stable and is smoothly running on their devices. Therefore, if you want to power up the performances of your Tab 2 7.0 and improve the Android user experience that runs on the same, apply this tutorial and flash the SlimBean OS.
The firmware is coming with the latest features available for the Android platform (some of the apps and capabilities are extra ones – cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean software) and it is also based on stock JB ROM. So, installing Slim Bean firmware on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 is a must have, especially if you are looking into obtaining more power from your Android based tablet.
Anyhow, before starting the update operation do complete:
- Root your tablet because a custom ROM can be installed only on unchained systems. The current firmware will have to access some internal files and programs that are running on your Galaxy Tab, and the mentioned access can be granted only if you previously root your device.
- Then, install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery or any other custom recovery tool, on your handset; do this only after gaining root access. In a few words, the custom recovery is being required because the stock recovery can’t be used when dealing with unofficial ports of the Android OS.
Be aware as by completing the mentioned tasks you will make important changes on your tablet and on its internal system; furthermore the operations are unofficial ones, which means that you will void the warranty of your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Due to the reasons mentioned above, this aspect can’t be avoided so if you’re not comfortable with the warranty detail, stop going any further. However, the warranty can be restored in case you will need it back; all you need to do is to downgrade your Tab 2 to stock Android OS.
After rooting and installing a custom recovery image you will have to (not necessarily though highly recommended) backup the data because, as you will see during the proper steps, for being able to flash the Slim Bean Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, a wipe will be required. This means that all of your personal saves and accounts will be wiped out; that’s why I recommended you to save the EFS folder, internet settings, market apps, text messages, contacts list, calendar info, call logs and so on. It is also important to make a Nandroid backup – save the current ROM – because in this way you can easily restore the previous firmware, in case you don’t like the SlimBean custom software.
The rest of the pre requisites are referring to the following aspects:
- Make sure that you can use a computer or notebook.
- Your tablet and its USB cable should be there too.
- On your device go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option – for being able to properly connect your handset with the computer.
- Charge the battery of your Tab 2 if you notice that it has less than 60% power left – else it might get turned off while you are trying to apply the custom Android 4.2.2 firmware.
- Deactivate or just uninstall the security programs that are running on your computer and on your tablet – usually, these tools are interfering with the update operation.
- This step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 model number P3100 and the Slim Bean custom ROM is being offered by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 with SlimBean (build 6) JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the firmware file and save the same on your computer.
- The download link is here.
- Don’t unzip the update file.
- Take the USB cable and by using the same connect your tablet with the computer.
- Select the downloaded file and copy-paste it from your PC to your handset.
- Disconnect the devices by unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn off your Tab 2.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Note: the recovery mode can be entered by pressing on Power, Volume UP and Home buttons at the same time.
- From the recovery menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Slim Bean ROM file from your tablet.
- Start the flashing procedure.
- Wait while the update is being applied.
- In the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
- Note: if the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic there is nothing wrong with your handset.
- Note 2: if your tablet will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot into recovery and wipe the system once more.
- Note 3: if you don’t like the new software then reboot into recovery and choose to restore the previous OS – only if you had applied a Nandroid backup first.
So, that was all; now you know how to update your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with the SlimBean ROM. Test the firmware and the new features and apps and then return here and share your experience with us and with the other users who might want to install the software on their tablets.