Update Galaxy Tab 8.9 with Unofficial Port of AOKP Jelly Bean Custom ROM
The Jelly Bean based build 3 of AOKP custom ROM firmware has just been made available by the AOKP team, so the official supported devices can now be updated with the same. Fortunately for the Android users, the SGS3 and SGS2 have been introduced to the list of supported handsets, meaning that you can apply the official port of the software to your smartphone. Anyway, if your device isn’t present on the mentioned list, then you will have to manually install the unofficial port of the AOKP update, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 users being in that situation.
Therefore, during the present step by step guide, you will be able to learn the easiest way possible for flashing the AOKP built 3 update on your Galaxy Tab 8.9, model number i957. So, your tablet will finally receive the Jelly Bean flavor, though you must know for sure that this is not an official OS upgrade released by Samsung for your tablet. It is a custom ROM that comes with Android 4.1 features and looks along with other capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. Furthermore, you will learn how to install the unofficial port of the AOKP ROM, which was developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so you must be aware as the operation is a complex one.
That’s why you must read all the lines from this guide, as there are numerous pre requisites that must be completed before heading to the proper steps. The AOKP ROM is one of the most popular custom updates available for the Android platform, so by installing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with it you will be able to improve the internal system and also power up the performances; not to mention that the latest Android version will be added. Unfortunately there are no rumors about an official Jelly Bean update for your Tab, so completing this tutorial might be the perfect opportunity for you.
The first thing to start with is the backup. By flashing the AOKP update on your Tab 8.9, the data which is being stored on your tablet will be wiped out (you will actually have to perform a wipe by using a custom recovery image). Therefore, if you have saved important personal info on your device, or if you don’t want to lose the market apps, text messages, contacts list, calendar info and so on, then the backup is what you need to do. In case you don’t know how to perform such operation, I recommend you to search for suitable guides and tutorials through our how to section. Mostly, you will learn how to use Android dedicated backup and restore apps, so don’t hesitate and check the same.
As soon as the data is in safe hands, you should look towards more important and also risky operations. For being able to install the AOKP firmware, you will first have to root the Galaxy Tab. A custom ROM works only on an unchained system, so you need to remove the factory restrictions before heading to the steps from below. Be aware as by rooting the warranty will be void and you can restore the same but only by downgrading to the stock ROM (it will be a good idea to note that down) or by updating to an official software released by Samsung and suitable with your tablet. If you somehow brick the device, there will be nobody to help you out.
A custom recover image will also be required as you will use it for performing the above mentioned wipe and for applying the update on your handset. You can get any recovery you want, the most popular one being the CWM recovery. Then, you should take a look over the following list. Here you have the general pre requisites, which must be also completed along with the backup, root and the mentioned recovery tool.
- You need to use a computer with internet connection enabled and the tablet USB cord.
- On both computer and tablet, you should first uninstall the security tools, or deactivate the Firewall or antivirus protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option from the Tab.
- Charge the battery, or else the tablet will get turned off in the middle of the process.
- Apply this tutorial only if you own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 model number i957; else you can end up in bricking your Android powered device.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 8.9 with Unofficial Port of AOKP Jelly Bean Custom ROM
- The first step that must be completed is referring to the update file. You must download it from here.
- As the update isn’t coming with Google Apps included, you need to download this package from here too.
- Of course, save these files to your computer.
- Next, connect the tablet with the PC via its USB cable.
- Copy and then paste the files downloaded from the computer to your device.
- When done, remove the USB cord.
- Turn off the Tab.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- From recovery mode, the first thing that must be performed is the wipe. For that, you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Now, you need to return to the recovery image by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Your table is prepared for the installation procedure, so from recovery choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same, and then do similar for flashing the Google Package.
- In the end, just select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Well, now you know how to install the unofficial port of the Jelly Bean based build 3 of AOKP custom ROM firmware on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. This is not the only update available for your tablet, so stay close for further step by step guides like this one. In the end, share your opinions and thoughts with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.