How to update Samsung Galaxy Vibrant by using the Ex ROM 1.3 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware
The Ice Cream Sandwich is everywhere; since it was released, there were provided numerous (most likely unofficial) versions of the firmware for smartphones and tablets as well. We are glad to see this happening, as we all know that the Android users are dying for an OS update. So, today I bring news for the Galaxy Vibrant, which is also known as Galaxy S 4G, users as the ICS software is out for their handsets too. In this tutorial you can learn how to update your Vibrant by using the Ex ROM 1.3 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware; check it out.
The present update is not an official version of the Android 4.0 ICS operating system. Therefore, it is not coming straight from Samsung and it has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. Furthermore, there are no details about the official launch of the ICS firmware for the Vibrant handsets, so installing this ROM is the only way in which you can take advantage of the Android 4.0 experience. The Ex ROM 1.3 firmware was tested by the xda-developers so we have them to thank for this opportunity.
Now, as you can already tell, flashing the Ex ROM 1.3 custom ICS 4.0.4 firmware on your Galaxy S 4G will make you void the Samsung warranty. This means that in case you manage to do something wrong, or mess your phone’s system (this can happen rarely and only if you choose not to follow a step by step guide, like this one) you will be on your own; no one will be able to help you out. So, read carefully the tutorial and do all as explained. If you are not comfortable with this aspect maybe it will be better to stop here.
The Vibrant specs are including a 4 inch display, a single core 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, a 5 MP rear facing camera and the Android 2.3 pre-installed. A decent smartphone with regular performances and its users should take in consider in updating its system. In this way the performances will be powered up. You will be able to gain speed, improve the battery life and optimize and customize the OS. Furthermore, the firmware is coming with numerous and important features; you have the full list of the capabilities included in the Ex ROM 1.3 software displayed in the image from below. Check it out:
Now, in order to make it through, you must have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to your handset and to its USB cord. Then, on the PC and on the smartphone do the following:
- Backup all the data and apps stored on your device. The procedure will erase all that is stored into its memory and sometimes from its SD card as well. So, be careful and keep your data in safe hands.
- Don’t use (uninstall) during the tutorial any of the Firewall programs from the PC and from the phone.
- Enable the USB debugging in your phone. “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. You can enable the USB debugging only when the gadget is disconnected from the computer.
- The power left on the handset should be somewhere around 70%, 80% recommended.
- In order to complete the operation the phone needs to be previously rooted; also you need to install a custom recovery image into its system before installing the Ex ROM 1.3 custom ICS 4.0.4 firmware.
You can now start the proper tutorial. The procedure is not hard to complete and it will only take a couple of minutes from your time; you will be back on track in the shortest time possible. Read carefully and do all as explained in the following steps.
Update Galaxy Vibrant with Ex ROM 1.3 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware
- Download the Ex ROM 1.3 ICS 4.0.4 Firmware Package from here and place it to your computer.
- Connect the device with the PC by using its USB cord.
- Then, copy the files downloaded in step 1 from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the computer (remove the USB cable).
- Turn the smartphone off.
- Reboot it by entering in recovery mode. This can be achieved by holding down the Volume Down Key and the OK button while powering the phone up.
- In the recovery mode menu you need to select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”. The file should be right there, just pick it.
- The process will now begin.
- In the end you will be back on the recovery mode menu.
- Now select “++++ Go Back ++++” and then “reboot system now”.
- That’s it, you are done.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you can learn how to update the Galaxy Vibrant / Galaxy S 4G by using the Ex ROM 1.3 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware. If somehow, something went wrong, or if you can’t complete one of the steps, share the issues with us and we will do all that we can in order to help you through.