Update Galaxy Vibrant by using the ExROM 2.0 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware
After we have showed you how to update your Samsung Galaxy Vibrant to Ice Cream Sandwich by flashing the ExROM 1.3 custom ROM into its system, now I will show you how to add new features and bug-fixes to the same as the latest version of the ExROM software has just been made available for download. The ExROM 2.0 variant is the most stable one so far, so if you want a firmware that works perfectly, you must flash it on your Galaxy Vibrant as soon as possible.
Also, if you haven’t update the Vibrant OS until now, this will be the perfect opportunity for you. Remember that there is no official ICS update released by Samsung for its Vibrant SGH-T959 handsets, so if you just can’t wait, you can now flash the ExROM 2.0 custom ROM and goodbye Gingerbread!
Furthermore, by flashing the ExROM 2.0 you will void the Galaxy Vibrant warranty; so for making things as it should always follow a step by step guide and don’t do things on your own as you can wreck your phone. This tutorial can be applied only for the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959, meaning that if you try to perform the same for other similar devices you can damage its internal system.
Similar with any other custom ROMs, the ExROM 2.0 is designed to bring new features and capabilities that will power up the performances of your Android powered smartphone. Not to mention that the Android ICS 4.0.4 firmware is included in the software. Beside this, you will gain more control over your handset, its system and OS being opened for changes and optimization, or customization processes. A new theme manager will be added, the battery life will be improved and the speeds will be upgraded. The full list of features that comes with ExROM 2.0 is described in the image from below; check it out:
Now, for succeeding you must first complete some operations. You have them explained during the following lines.
- Backup the data saved on your Galaxy Vibrant. Use a computer or the phone’s SD card for backing up the videos, pictures, music files and so on.
- Download SMS backup and restore.
- Download Call log backup and restore.
- Sync your contacts list with your Google Gmail account.
- Charge the handset so it can have enough power during the update.
- In order to flash the custom ROM the Galaxy Vibrant must be rooted with a custom recovery image (ClockworkMod Recovery) installed.
- Remember to follow this step by step guide only if you have a T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959.
- You need to have a Windows running computer near you. Deactivate the security tools installed on the PC and on the handset.
- Enable the USB debugging in your phone. “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. You can enable the USB debugging only when the gadget is disconnected from the computer.
Enough with the preparation tasks. Let’s head to the proper tutorial; just follow the steps and do all as explained.
How to Update Galaxy Vibrant by installing the ExROM 2.0 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware
- Download the ExROM 2.0 package from here and place it to the computer.
- Use the USB cord for connecting the phone with the PC.
- Copy the file downloaded in the first step on the phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the PC.
- Turn it off and reboot in recovery mode (press and hold on the Volume Down key, the OK button and the Power button).
- In recovery mode menu perform a Nandroid backup (just in case you don’t like the new software you can then revert on the previous one).
- The on the same recovery menu choose to make a full wipe: “Wipe data/factory reset”,” Wipe cache partition” and “Wipe Dalvik cache”.
- Return to the recovery menu.
- Now select to pick the file you must install. Choose “Install Zip from SD Card” followed by “Choose Zip from SD Card” and get the ROM file from the phone’s SD card (see step 3).
- The operation should take somewhere around 10 minutes.
- When completed return to the recovery mode menu and select “reboot system now”.
When the T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant SGH-T959 will reboot it will be running the new ExROM 2.0 Custom ICS 4.0.4 Firmware. Test it and see how it works or if there are bugs in the system. After that share your impressions with us and do tell if during the above process there were error messages displayed or if you encountered issues. We will do all we can in order to help you through.