Update Galaxy W I8150 to Official Android 4.1.2 JB XXAMH2 Firmware
The latest Android update that has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy W model number I8150 is Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXAMH2 firmware. The OTA has been rolled out in limited markets though and gradually so not all the devices will receive the OS at the same time. Also, the software can be spotted only by locked (unrooted) smartphones meaning that in case you have a rooted Galaxy W, the stock JB 4.1.2 XXAMH2 update will not embrace your phone. Regardless your reasons, if a manual flashing method is being required, use this step by step guide.
The tutorial will easily take you through the installation procedure of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMH2 firmware on Samsung Galaxy W I8150. So, use it if somehow you can’t apply the OTA release, or if you need to reflash the stock Android OS on your device – if your phone is currently running on a buggy custom ROM or if you want to install the default version of Jelly Bean software. The XXAMH2 ROM is stable and will smoothly run on your Galaxy W. Furthermore there has been added some new features, stability improvements and bug fixes, so it is more than recommended to apply this new official update on your smartphone.
Of course, by flashing an official OS on your device, the root access will be revoked – in case you have previously gained root access. Else, the tutorial can be safely applied for both rooted and un-rooted handsets. The steps from below can be easy to perform, completing the guidelines taking only a couple of minutes from your time. Do read all the lines from below though as you don’t want to mess things up – you can end up in bricking your Galaxy W I8150.
Since root access can be revoked, it means that now you can restore the lost warranty back. As you know, when applying operations like rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing custom recovery images, installing custom ROMs and kernels or when overclocking the CPU, the warranty gets void. So, if you need to restore the warranty (unlikely since the Galaxy W is quite old) use this step by step guide and manually flash Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMH2 firmware.
Odin will be used on this guide so you won’t have to deal with complex and risky apps and tools; only a backup is being required because in some cases the data might get corrupted or even wiped out. Therefore, before doing anything else, download backup and restore apps from Google Play and use the same for saving all the data, personal info and accounts from the internal storage memory of your Samsung Galaxy W; the SD card will not be affected so the data that is stored on the same is in safe hands.
Odin can be installed only on Windows platform, so a Windows based computer or notebook will be required. You will have to download the Android 4.1.2 XXAMH2 Firmware on your computer, so for ensuring that nothing stands on your way, first deactivate the antivirus protection and any other security protection from both computer and smartphone. Your Galaxy W must have USB debugging option enabled; go to path “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the same. The battery status of your device should indicate more than 60% power left; if different (meaning if there is less power) you need to plug in the charger – if your phone gets turned off in the middle of the operation procedure, you might end up in bricking your handset.
The same thing can happen if you use this tutorial for a different or similar handset; the steps from below are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy W model number I8150 because the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMH2 firmware has been released only for the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy W I8150 to Official Android 4.1.2 JB XXAMH2 Firmware
- Download Odin on your computer.
- Download the update file on the same computer – use the download link from here.
- Also, on the PC the Galaxy W drivers must be installed – you can use Samsung KIES for getting the drivers.
- Unzip the downloaded files (Odin and firmware).
- Then, install and run Odin on your computer.
- The unzipped software must be placed on desktop.
- Now, turn off your phone.
- Take it and press the power, volume down and home buttons.
- In this way download mode must be entered.
- So, with the handset booted in download mode, connect your Galaxy W with the computer via USB cable.
- Then, take a look on Odin: the “added” message must be displayed while ID:COM section must be yellow or blue.
- If not, unplug the USB cable, close Odin and reinstall the Galaxy W drivers on your computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- Good, now from Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the Android 4.1.2 JB XXAMH2 Firmware file from desktop.
- From Odin click on “start”.
- Wait while the update is being applied.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed on Odin and the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer and reboot your device.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMH2 firmware on the Samsung Galaxy W I8150. Hopefully Android 4.2.2 or even 4.3 will be released for the same handset; we will be there for you as usual with a suitable step by step guide, so stay close. Also, if you had problems while using the steps from above, use our dedicated step by step guide and resolve the issues. For anything else, use the comments area from below and share your impressions, thoughts and opinions with our team.