Update Galaxy Y to Official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXLL1 OS
If updating with custom ROMs or with unofficial firmware isn’t your thing but you still want to improve the performances of your Galaxy Y GT-S5363 smartphone, then you should know that Samsung released an official software for your device. The Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS, dubbed as XXLL1, can be OTA or by using KIES applied on your Galaxy Y, though not all the users will be able to install the update on the same time, as an stock ROM is offered different depending on the region and on the carrier.
That’s why maybe you will want or need to complete this step by step guide which will take you through the installation procedure; by applying the next steps you can easily learn how to manually flash the mentioned Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXLL1 software on your Samsung Galaxy Y devices, so if you just can’t wait for the OTA OS, follow and perform the same. This tutorial is not a complex one but you do have to read all the lines from below, or else you can end up in bricking your phone. Also, you need to prepare the handset for the update operation, so make sure you apply the pre requisites before going any further.
Now, it must be clear for you that you will update your Galaxy Y with an official software and not with a custom ROM firmware. So, you will not void the warranty of your device by completing this guide. Also, if your phone is currently powered by an unofficial port of the Android system, after installing the Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXLL1 OS you will be able to restore the lost warranty, revoke the root access and relock the bootloader. Don’t worry you can re-root the Galaxy Y but only by using a root tutorial that is suitable with the new Gingerbread platform.
As mentioned before, this guide can be safely performed only if you previously read and complete the pre requisites. You must prepare your phone and ensure other things before heading to the update operation so take your time and make everything as explained during the following list.
- Begin with a backup; each time you want to make changes, update or apply something on your smartphone it is recommended to save your personal info as who knows what can happen and I know that you can never be too sure when it comes to your data.
- Therefore, backup the text messages, call logs, market apps, calendar info, contacts, EFS and internet settings (use our backup and restore guides by searching through the how to section).
- Make sure you can use a computer, your Galaxy Y and its USB cord.
- On both computer and handset first deactivate the security options and programs; these tools might interfere or interrupt the update operation.
- Check the battery status of your phone and if you notice that the power left is less than 60% go and charge the battery; else the device might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your Galaxy Y by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Because we are dealing with the official Gingerbread 2.3.6 update for your Galaxy Y, you don’t have to root your phone for being able to apply the XXLL1 OS. Also, if you do own a rooted device, after completing this step by step guide the root access will be revoked. Finally, you don’t have to install a custom recovery image on your handset because Odin will be used on the update operation and not CWM recovery.
Remember that the present tutorial can and must be applied only for the Samsung Galaxy Y model number GT-S5363; the below steps will work only for the mentioned phone. If you try to install the Official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXLL1 software on a similar smartphone you will end up in bricking your Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy Y to Official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 XXLL1 OS
- Download Samsung KIES and install the proper drivers for your handset on the computer.
- Also, download the update file from here and extract it on your PC.
- Download and install Odin on your computer.
- Open Odin.
- Turn off the Galaxy Y.
- Reboot in download mode.
- The download mode, for the Y can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Menu and Power buttons together.
- Connect the device with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On Odin the “added” message must be displayed.
- Also, the ID:COM option will be yellow now.
- If not, disconnect the phone and re-install the drivers on your PC; then redo the above steps.
- From Odin, select the “PDA” option.
- Then, pick the update file from the PC and don’t make any other changes.
- Click on “Start”.
- When the flashing process is over, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
In case you get a boot loop, here is what you need to do:
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- From recovery wipe the system.
- You can do the wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well done guys, you have managed to safely complete the tutorial, which means that the Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5363 has been updated with the official Value Pack Gingerbread 2.3.6 software. Do tell us how things worked for you and if you have any questions use the comments area from below.