If you want to install the latest AOKP custom ROM on your Google LG Nexus 4 now you can, as those of xda-developers had just made available the Jelly Bean based AOKP-MAKO custom ROM firmware. So, we will be checking in how to update your Nexus 4 to AOKP software, the present tutorial being all that you need. Be aware as the AOKP 4.2.1 ROM can be flashed only on the Nexus 4 model number E960 therefore don’t go any further if you own a similar device (else you can end up in bricking your Android powered smartphone).
This is being an AOSP based software and will install the latest Jelly Bean platform on your LG Nexus 4; of course you will be getting an customized and optimized firmware, because the AOKP is a custom ROM and not an official OS released by Google. Unfortunately the 4.2.1 mako update isn’t yet stable so there are some minor bugs and issues included in the system. Actually this is the preview version of the AOKP OS so the same isn’t recommended for daily use. But, for more details about this new AOSP firmware, check our source page from here.
Up next you should complete the pre requisites. If you skip this section you might end up in bricking your Nexus 4. It’s extremely important to prepare your phone for the installation process that will follow or else the AOKP Mako custom ROM will not work on your device. After performing the list from below you can safely head to the proper steps and flash the AOKP 4.2.1 firmware on your LG Nexus 4.
- Backup the current ROM of your Nexus; in this way you can easily restore it if something bad is happening and the present software isn’t working as expected.
- Backup the text messages by downloading suitable apps for Android.
- Save the call logs by downloading call log backup and restore apps.
- The contacts can be easily saved by syncing with your Gmail account.
- Other files (like images and videos) can be backed up by using a computer or a SD card.
- As soon as your personal data are in safe hands you must root the LG Google Nexus 4. This is a custom ROM and you can’t flash it without rooting the system first.
- Be careful as if you do something wrong there will be nobody to help you out; by rooting the warranty will get void and the only way in which you can restore it is by downgrading to the stock ROM (or update with an official software offered by Google for your Nexus 4).
- Install a custom recovery image (like CWM recovery) on your handset.
- Deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection. If not the update process will be interrupted and that is not what we want.
- Check the battery status: if there is more than 60% power left you can skip this step, if different you must charge the battery before going any further.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone if you want to properly connect the device with the computer.
- Remember that the Jelly Bean based AOKP 4.2.1 (mako) custom ROM can be installed only on the LG Google Nexus 4 model number E960 so don’t apply this guide if you won a different device.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 with AOKP 4.2.1 (mako) Custom ROM firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Download the Google Apps package from here.
- Place the files on the computer and then, after connecting the handset with the PC (via USB cord) copy-paste the same files to your phone.
- Unplug the USB cable and turn off the Nexus.
- Reboot in recovery.
- For recovery press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same until the phone turns on; from there choose “recovery”.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu and then select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Take the update file and flash the same.
- Repeat the steps for installing the Google Apps package too.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- You are done.
Congratulations, you have managed to install the AOKP-Mako custom ROM firmware on your LG Google Nexus 4. Take note that the software isn’t yet stable so there will be bugs and issues in the system. Share the problems with us and with other users and stay close as we will updated you as soon as a new and improved version of the update will be released. Also, do tell us if there were problems while trying to complete the above explained steps and we will try to do our best in order to help you out.