If you like the stock Google Nexus 4 software but want to optimize the battery life and power up the performances, then you should install the DemolitioN4 custom ROM firmware on your smartphone. The update is being based on the stock Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 OS and it is also rooted, deodexed and zipaligned, so that you can enjoy an improved Android experience. The flashing procedure is not hard to complete, but you will have to prepare your LG Nexus 4 first, so make sure you check all the lines from below; else you can end up in bricking your handset.
Even though the DemolitioN4 is based on the official Jelly Bean 4.2.1 software, the ROM is actually a custom one, meaning that the same has nothing to do with LG or Google. Therefore, by completing this step by step guide you will update your Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.1 by applying an unofficial firmware that comes with more advantages compared with the stock one. As already mentioned, the DemolitionN4 ROM is rooted, deodexed, zipaligned and also it will optimize the performances, improve the battery life and add new themes for providing an updated and better Android user interface.
Also, as stated in the introduction, for being able to perform this tutorial you will first have to prepare your LG Google Nexus 4 for the installation operation that will follow. The pre requisites are not numerous but you must apply them if you want to safely update the Nexus 4 to latest Jelly Bean 4.2.1 OS with DemolitionN4 firmware. You should be aware because this is being considered an complex and risky method, meaning that if you don’t read all the lines from this guide, you can even brick your device.
Before starting the actual tutorial, you should know that the present software has been developed and released by those of xda-developers, so we have to thanks them for this opportunity. The next list and then the proper steps can be applied only for the Google Nexus 4 E960 devices, so don’t try to perform the same for similar smartphones.
- Now, the first thing that must be completed when a custom ROM is about to be installed, is a backup operation. If you skip this part, all of your personal info will be wiped out. That’s why it is recommended to save the contacts, messages, call logs, market apps and everything else you need to before making any other changes on your LG Nexus 4.
- A Nandroid backup should also be performed (if possible); in case you will not like the DemolitionN4 custom ROM, you will be able to easily restore the stock one.
- Then, after your data is in safe hands, you must root the Nexus 4 system. The present update can be installed only on a rooted device as the ROM will require access to the internal system of your phone.
- The warranty will get void because of that (because of the root) so try not to mess things up.
- For restoring the warranty you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM, or to update with an official OS provided and released by LG or Google especially for your Nexus 4 E960 smartphone.
- Next, a custom recovery image (CWM recovery is recommended) must be flashed on your Google Nexus 4. This tool will be used for the update operation, so CWM recovery is a must have.
Those were the essential pre requisites. Now, you should take care of the general ones. The same are referring to the following: you must have access to a computer or notebook, to your handset and to its USB cable; on the computer and on the Nexus 4 there shouldn’t be any security programs installed (antivirus and Firewall protection also included); the USB debugging option from your device must be enabled or else you will not be able to properly connect the phone with the computer; if the power left on your LG Nexus 4 is less than 50% you must charge the battery; finally, remember that this step by step guide is being suitable only for those who want to update the LG Google Nexus 4 with DemolitionN4 Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 custom ROM firmware.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 with DemolitioN4 Jelly Bean 4.2.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- You can now safely download the update file on your computer.
- For that, use the download link from here, or the one from here.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the phone with the computer / notebook.
- Next, select the downloaded file and copy paste it from the PC to your phone.
- You should reboot your device into recovery mode.
- For that, first turn it off; then press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until Fastboot Mode is displayed. From there, just select “recovery”.
- From the recovery menu, first of all select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Remember to backup the data before applying this step.
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and start the flashing operation.
- In the end, from the recovery menu select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
As you can see there are only few steps to complete in order to install the DemolitionN4 Jelly Bean Android 4.2.1 custom ROM firmware on your LG Google Nexus 4 smartphone. Anyway, if something isn’t working, make sure that all the pre requisites were previously performed as explained above. Also, you can use the comments area from below for sharing your problems, thoughts and impressions with us and with other users too. Now, if you don’t like the new software you can anytime restore the stock one. All you have to do is to reboot into recovery again and use the “restore” option. Of course this can be applied only if you have previously performed a Nandroid backup.