The Google LG Nexus 4 handset is being available from a while now, so as expected, there have been developed numerous custom ROMs suitable with the device and many other versions based on the stock Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software are being tested as we speak. And while the first version of the upcoming official CM10.1 custom ROM is already available for the Google Nexus 4, now another beta update has come to our hands. The Xylon firmware is another Android 4.2 based ROM that comes to power up and improver your LG Nexus 4 smartphone therefore we will be checking in how to install this new software on your handset.
As usual, before describing the proper step by step guide I will resume the pre requisites and also I will talk a little bit about the update and about the features that will be installed on your phone once this tutorial will be completed. So, one aspect must be cleared for you: this Android 4.2 update has nothing to do with Google or LG as we are dealing with a custom ROM. The Xylon software was developed by those of xda-developers and you will need to perform a manual procedure for installing the platform on your Nexus 4.
The Xylon Jelly Bean 4.2 OS update comes with many features and improvements for your LG Google Nexus 4, though the most changes will be applied on the user interface and basically on the looks. Therefore, by flashing this ROM you will be able to optimize the performances, but mainly customize and personalize the looks of your smartphone. Of course the pure Android system that comes pre-installed on a Nexus device will be replaced by a custom OS with its own looks and features. For further aspects related to this new software you can anytime check our source page by using the link from here. Then, return here and resume the rest of the tutorial.
As usual, when you try to install an unofficial update there must be performed the pre requisites. This is happening because a beta firmware can’t be flashed on a system that has the factory restrictions installed. Anyway, for now all you have to do is to backup the Nexus 4 data and only after that you cans safely take care of more complex tasks. By using our backup and restore guides you can learn how to save almost everything from your phone, starting with contacts, messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings, current ROM and more so don’t hesitate and search through our how to section for using the same.
As soon as your personal info is in safe hands you can take care of the risky processes. You should begin by unlocking the Google Nexus 4 bootloader. After that you must proceed and root the LG Nexus 4 OS for unchaining the system from the annoying factory restrictions (the warranty will get void while doing this so be careful; you can restore the warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM, so don’t forget to backup it first). In this way you can be sure that the system is being prepared for the update that will shortly follow.
After rooting you must download and install a custom recovery image, preferable CWM recovery, on your Nexus 4. This tool will be used on the proper steps for wiping the data and for applying the Android 4.2 based Xylon ROM on your smartphone. You cannot complete this guide without CWM recovery therefore the tool is a must have. Next, take a look over the following list and apply the tasks from there.
- You must download the update and the Google Apps package so a computer will be required.
- On both PC and phone you should first deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection because these security programs can interfere with the update operation.
- Charge the battery of your Google Nexus 4, or if there is more than 60% power left you can skip this step.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the last option (meaning that you have to enable the USB debugging option).
- Install the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Xylon software by using this tutorial only for the Google LG Nexus 4 and not on similar smartphones because you can end up in bricking your Android based devices.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 to Jelly Bean 4.2 with Xylon Custom ROM Firmware
- Use your computer and download the update file from here.
- As already mentioned you will have to get the Google Apps package too, so use this link for the same.
- After saving the files on the computer, connect the phone with the PC via USB cable.
- You now need to copy the files on your device.
- In the end disconnect the handset from the PC.
- Recovery mode must now be entered.
- For that first turn off the smartphone. Then, reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time.
- From recover, first of all select the next options: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And from there now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- The update file should be there just pick it.
- Then flash the same and wait while the process is running (it should take a couple of minutes so don’t panic).
- Up next, also install the Google Apps package by performing a similar procedure with the one explained above.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and end the tutorial by selecting “reboot system now”.
- Take note that the first boot will take longer than usual, so don’t panic just wait for the smartphone to reboot in normal mode.
So, there you have it; you now know how to update your Google LG Nexus 4 with the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean based Xylon Custom ROM Firmware. If you don’t like this software then you can anytime check the other guides suitable with your Nexus 4 by checking out our how to section. Remember that the CM10.1 ROM is also available so you might want to take a look over the same. That’s all for now but stay close for further news and Android related tips and tricks.