Even though it is not CM10 or AOKP, the first Android 4.2 Jelly Bean based custom ROM firmware for the LG Google Nexus 4 is here; therefore today we will be checking in how to install the new Jelly Time software on your Nexus 4 smartphone. As this is the first beta update provided for the latest Google phone, there are no major improvements featured by the Jelly Time platform though the appearances and some capabilities have been customized and optimized by those of xda-developers (they are developing and offering the software, so we have them to thanks for this tutorial).
As I have used you, during the present step by step guide we will talk about the pre requisites as you must first prepare your Nexus 4 for the proper installation process. Also, we will be checking in which are the risks that comes with an update operation therefore if you do want to flash the Jelly Bean 4.2 based Jelly Time custom ROM software on your Google Nexus 4 first you need to check the next few lines. Then, you can decide if you want to go further and apply the proper steps, or consider in waiting for a better platform to be developed.
So, this is a custom ROM which means that extra features that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system will be added to your handset. Therefore, once you install the Jelly Time firmware you will not be able to enjoy the classic and pure Google experience. A custom user interface will be added along with other apps and capabilities, all for improving the performances of your device. Anyway, if you want to learn more about this software and about the features that will be installed on your LG Nexus 4, then you need to check our source page from here. Next, return and resume the rest of the steps.
You will have to start this tutorial by completing the pre requisites. Without taking care of this section you will not be able to succeed with updating your Google Nexus 4 with the first custom ROM, the Android 4.2 based Jelly Time firmware and worst you can even end up in bricking your smartphone. So, be patience, read all the lines from here and make sure that you have applied all that is being detailed during the following list of tasks.
- Start by backing up the data. A full wipe of the system will be required therefore it is essential to save your personal if whether it is about the contacts, messages, call, logs or market apps. For that and fore easing your work, use our search engine and look over our how to section for suitable backup and restore step by step guides.
- When you first buy your handset it will be delivered with a locked bootloader. Now, for being able to install a custom ROM on your Nexus 4 you must unlock the bootloader. For learning more about this concept and also for learning how to unlock it, use the link from above.
- Also, the system of your phone must be unchained from the factory restrictions and unlocking the bootloader is not enough. Therefore you must also root the Google Nexus 4 before updating it.
- Be aware as the warranty will get void once you apply the above described operations. The only way from which you can restore the warranty will be by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating with an official firmware released by Google.
- After unlocking the bootloader and after rooting the system, you must download and install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your device. This is a complex tool which will be used for the flashing process (we will talk more about this during the proper steps).
- For the installation procedure, you need to have access to a Windows powered computer, to your phone and to its USB cord.
- On the handset the USB debugging option must be enabled.
- On the PC and smartphone there shouldn’t be running or installed any security tools (I’m referring to the antivirus program and to the Firewall protection).
- Furthermore, check the battery status on your Nexus 4. If there is less than 50% power left, charge your phone before heading to the steps from below.
- Apply this tutorial only if you have the LG Google Nexus 4 because the guide can’t be used for updating a similar device with the Android 4.2 Jelly Time custom ROM.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 with Jelly Time Android 4.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer, go here and download the update file.
- Then, go here and download the Google Apps package.
- Connect the Nexus 4 with the computer via USB cord.
- Copy paste or drag and drop the update file and the Google Apps package from the computer to your device.
- When done, unplug the USB cord; you don’t need to use the computer anymore.
- Now, turn off the handset and reboot in recovery mode.
- For that first boot in bootloader mode and then from there boot into recovery mode.
- From recovery you will have to first wipe the system. This is why you need to previously backup the data.
- For applying a full wipe, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file, the one that you have previously placed on your device and flash the same.
- Then, when the process is over (it will take a couple of minutes to complete) do the same and install the Google Apps package too.
- Finaly, when you are done with the mentioned steps, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all; now you know how to update the Google Nexus 4 with the first custom ROM firmware, the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean based Jelly Time software. Test the OS and do tell us what you think about the same. If there are bugs or issues into the system share them by using the comments area from below. Don’t forget to subscribe with us for receiving the latest news and Android related guides and tips.