Update Google Nexus 4 E960 with JellyBeer Android 4.2.1 Custom ROM
The LG Google Nexus 4 can be customizable with many beta updates as those of xda-developers are providing custom ROMs suitable with this device almost daily. Of course not all the OS improvements are stable ones, but most of them are quite interesting and not only because of the features that are included in the system. For example, the present update “strikes” you with the name even before taking a look over its features list. Anyway, the name is not all therefore you should know that the JellyBeer Android 4.2.1 custom ROM firmware is a powerful update, with important capabilities, so during the next few lines we will be checking in how to install the same on the Google Nexus 4 E960 handset.
JellyBeer is actually a software that was first developed for the Samsung Galaxy Note devices, but now thanks to those of xda-developers we are able to flash the same on the LG Google Nexus 4. The firmware is being based on the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS meaning that all the features included in the default version of the Android system, along with extra ones, will be ported to your Nexus 4 smartphone. Furthermore, by installing the JellyBeer ROM you will be able to customize the looks of your phone, apply different themes and enjoy an improved Jelly Bean experience.
Also, the performances will be updated, the battery life improved, you will gain more speed, you can switch between phone, phablet, and tablet modes, and a lot more. Anyway, the full features list can be checked out by going here, where our source page is. Take note that the JellyBeer OS is not an official update though, so you have to manually update your Google Nexus 4 with the same. And for that you should use, follow and complete the present step by step guide.
Now, if you want to safely apply the proper steps, you must first take care of the preparation tasks. Some are essential pre requisites, some are our recommendations and some are just general operations that must be completed before installing the custom ROM, but you should read them all. Else you can end up in bricking your Nexus 4 and I know you don’t want that to happen. That’s why you should begin with a backup process. In this way you can be sure that all of your personal info will be in safe hands. I recommend you to backup the EFS folder, contacts, internet setting, call logs, messages, calendar saves, market apps and almost everything else, because a full wipe of the system will have to be applied.
Then, you should continue by rooting your LG Nexus 4 system. Unfortunately the only way possible for updating your phone to Android 4.2.1 with JellyBeer software will imply in rooting your smartphone, which means the warranty will get void. So, be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up. Now, after gaining root access you will have to flash a custom recovery image (such as CWM recovery) on your handset, this tool being used on the update procedure. Not to forget, you can afterwards restore the lost warranty by downgrading to the stock ROM, or by updating (when possible) with an official OS released by Google and LG and suitable with your Nexus 4.
Those were the essential pre requisites; now the general ones are referring to: a Windows running computer which must be near you; your Nexus 4 and its USB cable should also be near you as you will have to use them; on the computer and smartphone the antivirus tools must be deactivated; the USB debugging option from your device must be enabled; the Nexus 4 battery should be charged (if there is less than 50% power left) and you shouldn’t apply this step by step guide unless you own the LG Google Nexus 4 model number E960 phone.
How to Update Google Nexus 4 E960 with JellyBeer Android 4.2.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- First, use this link and download the update file.
- Then, use the link from here and download the Google Apps package as it is not included in the update file; you will have to flash it separately.
- Save these files on your computer.
- And then, after connecting the phone with the PC, copy the same on your smartphone.
- You must turn off the device now, as the recovery mode must be entered.
- The recovery mode on the Nexus 4 can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. The fastboot mode will be displayed, so from there choose “recovery”.
- Remember to backup the data; also you can make a Nandroid backup.
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; all of your data will be now erased.
- When ended, select “+++go back+++”.
- And from the main menu select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first and install the same.
- Then, do similar for flashing the Google Apps package.
- When all the files are being installed completely, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, you are now done. The tutorial has been successfully completed meaning that the LG Google Nexus 4 has been updated with the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based JellyBeer custom ROM firmware. Test the new OS and see how it performs. If you find bugs or things that aren’t working share the same with us and with other users. You can anytime restore the stock ROM (if a Nandroid backup was previously performed) by rebooting in recovery once more.