Google Nexus 4 has received its own update to the Android 4.2.2 OS via OTA notification. But, not all users received this update and that is why I’ve created this post, for N4 owners worldwide to learn how to manually flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 JDQ39 OTA update zip easily without damaging their devices.
This is an easy to complete guide and you should be able to finish the installation of this update in no time. However, before we can begin the update process, you should read the preparation guide listed below. It will teach you how to successfully configure the smartphone so that you will be able to install Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware update on Nexus 4 at the first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Do now try to use this guide with any other smartphone. It will work only with the Google Nexus 4.
- The Nexus 4 should be running on the Android 4.2.1 JOP40D firmware. It doesn’t matter if the device is rooted or unrooted, as this guide will work either way.
- In the ‘how-to’ guide you will find 2 different methods, one that teaches you how to flash the Android 4.2.2 Update via Stock Recovery, while the other one will use the Custom Recovery. So, choose the tutorial that matches your device’s recovery image.
- Backup all important data by moving it on your device’s internal SDcard.
- Since it is an update to stock Jelly Bean OS you shouldn’t lose any data in process. However, you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the device or you lose any important data in the process.
- Make sure that you have the Android SDK installed on your computer. That’s the software that you will use in order to push the OTA update zip to your phone’s stock recovery.
- Disable all antivirus applications from your computer as you wouldn’t such software to interfere with the updating process.
- Make sure that you have the USB Debugging from Developer Options enabled on your phone. NOTE: You can find it in Settings app. If the USB Debugging isn’t listed, then you have to Enable Developer Options menu by tapping 7 times on the Build Number section.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Use the comments section to ask for more help in case you cannot complete the update.
These were all the steps that you had to take. Now you should continue to the tutorial guide and learn how to flash the update using Stock recovery. The ‘installation via custom Recovery’ is listed after the first guide.
How to update Google Nexus 4 to official stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Firmware using the Stock Recovery:
- Download the JDQ39 Jelly Bean zip from HERE. It measures only 51MB and you should save the file on your PC.
- Reboot your device and while it boots up you should keep pressing the Volume down button.
- Fastboot Mode menu will appear and you have to press Volume Up once to make the Recovery option appear. Press Power to select it.
- An Android with a red exclamation point will show up and you have to hold Power button and press a few times the Volume Up button for a new menu to appear.
- Select ‘apply update from adb’ and get to the next step.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC using the USB cable.
- Launch the Command Prompt for Windows, or terminal for Linux and Mac. Open it in the same folder as the zip file downloaded at step 1.
- Now you will have to enter the following command line in the CMD / Terminal window: adb sideload de8b8d101614.signed-occam-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.de8b8d10.zip
- A progress bar will appear and when the 100% is reached you will know that the update has been successfully installed.
- Reboot your phone and then you will be able to test the new firmware.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash the OTA update on your Nexus 4 using the Stock Recovery.
If you’re device is using a custom Recovery, then you have to use the guide below.
How to update Google Nexus 4 to official stock Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Firmware using Custom Recovery (TWRP / CWM):
- Download the JDQ39 JB OTA Update zip from here. Save the file on your PC.
- Connect the device to your computer and then move the update zip on its internal SDcard. Disconnect the phone from PC when the file is copied.
- Power off your N4 now.
- Boot it into Custom Recovery mode.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from internal SD’ option.
- Find the JDQ39 update zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the update is complete, return to the main menu of the custom recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
Wait until the device boots normally with the new Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 Jelly Bean stock ROM.
If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments. Also, you can keep trying as eventually the install should be completed.
Update your Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 firmware and then tell us in comments which are its best features and if it runs better than it did with Android 4.2.1 JOP40D ROM.