Nexus 4 by Google and LG has been launched several weeks ago and the XDA developers already starting to release new custom ROMs for it. Use this post and learn how to correctly set your device for the installation of SlimBean custom ROM update. Continue reading the rest of this article only if your device is on an unlocked bootloader, it has a custom Recovery installed.
The current status of this SlimBean custom ROM is ‘pre-alpha’ which means that there is still a lot of work left and that’s why you should only use this ROM for testing purposes. The main features of this custom Android 4.2 ROM are a lower DPI and multi-DPI PlayStore, several customizations that are making your phone OS feel faster.
SlimBean custom ROM is the former and popular Slim ICS ROM and now it has reached the Jelly Bean devices. Currently, te Face unlock and Auto Restore functions aren’t working. To correctly install this new ROM you will have to read the guidelines below:
- Install this custom ROM only on the LG / Google Nexus 4 smartphone. Do not attempt to flash the files you find in this post on any other smartphones or tablets, as that will result in a bricked device.
- Your Nexus 4 has to be on an unlocked bootloader, it has to run a TWRP or CWM Recovery images and it should be rooted. If your phone doesn’t meet these requirements then you cannot flash the SlimBean custom ROM.
- Create a full ROM backup of the currently installed Android 4.2 OS. This file will act as cover in case you cannot use your phone after applying the new ROM files.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu. Remember that you have to access the Developer Menu by tapping 7 times on the ‘Build number’ option that is listed in ‘About phone’ menu.
- Make sure that your device has enough power in its battery so that it won’t switch off during the custom ROM installation.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case your phone gets bricked in the process. You should use this guide only if you’re familiar with this type of tutorials. Make sure that you read the entire article first and only when you’re ready you should begin the install.
- In case you’re having problems completing this update, you can ask for more instructions in our comments section.
Now that you know all the above, you should move to the tutorial guide below.
How to install SlimBean Android 4.2 Custom ROM Pre-Alpha build on Google Nexus 4:
- Download the custom SlimBean ROM zip from HERE. Don’t extract its contents.
- Download the GoogleApps zip file from HERE.
- Download the Multi-DPI Play Store zip file from HERE. Also, you can choose to download the Stock Android 4.2 Jelly Bean launcher from HERE (the default home launcher of SlimBean in HoloLauncher HD).
- Connect your Nexus 4 to your computer using the USB cable. Transfer all files, the ones you downloaded at the steps above, on to your smartphone’s internal SD card. After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Nexus 4 smartphone and then boot it into CWM recovery mode. This can be done only by booting the bootloader mode first buy pressing volume down and power buttons at the same time. Use the volume buttons to select the Recovery Mode and press Power to confirm that you wish to boot into CWM Recovery mode.
- When you’re at the main CWM Recovery menu you need to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option firstly. Confirm this process and then move to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘Slim Bean zip’, which is the ROM file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the SlimBean custom ROM is installed you should repeat step 7 and flash the Gapps zip file. This one will add all Google based Apps to your smartphone.
- Again, repeat step 7 and flash the ‘Multi DPI Play Store’ zip file. Also, after that you can install the optional Android 4.2 JB home launcher.
- When you’ve successfully flashed all these files, then you should return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ option and then wait for the first boot process of SlimBean Android 4.2 custom ROM to load.
- Enter your Google account details and then take control over your device’s new OS. Tell us in comments if you like the new features and functions of Android 4.2 and Slim Bean pre-alpha release.
In case the first boot process takes too long to complete, you will need to power off the device and then re-apply all the instructions that I’ve listed in the tutorial above.
If you don’t like this new custom ROM for Nexus 4 then you should use the backup file of the previous ROM and restore it.
These are all the instructions I had for you. For any extra questions use the comments field at the end of this post.