Update Google Nexus 5 with Carbon KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly Custom ROM
The Carbon KitKat Nightlies are now live for the Nexus 5 ‘hammerhead’ device. Read this entire post and you will be able to complete the tutorial in no time without bricking the firmware.
The Google Nexus 5 already sports the latest KitKat build, but there are users who want to get access to tons of other customizations and tweaks that should only enable you to improve the overall performance of your device. Make sure to read the guidelines below before starting the installation of Carbon KitKat ROM:
- Use this post only with the Google Nexus 5.
- don’t update any other devices with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- Your Nexus 5 has to be rooted and running the latest build of either CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- this process will set a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new Carbon build doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- do not skip the step when you reach it in the tutorial.
- Factory Reset is also needed for this new ROM to install correctly at your first attempt.
- the Factory Reset will wipe all data from system partition, while leaving the internal storage files the same way these were before applying the data wipe.
- do not skip Factory Reset step.
- Backup all data from installed Android applications, SMS text messages and more similar data using Helium for Android — guide here.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- info here on how to complete the process for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level before starting the installation of this new ROM. This will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
- Read this entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps.
- This is a guide for advanced users, so you shouldn’t blame us in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in new ROM.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before starting the installation.
How to flash Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM for Nexus 5:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest build.
- Download Gapss for this new ROM from here.
- Connect your device with your PC via USB data cable and move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
> do not unzip the archived contents of this ROM.
- Power off the device and then boot it in CWM / TWRP Recovery:
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery, then you need to read more info here.
- Now you should create a NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Backup, name the file and swipe to start the backup.
- Next, apply Factory Reset for your phone:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: Press Wipe and swipe to confirm Factory Reset.
- Install the new ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Install, find the file and confirm process.
- Repeat step 7 actions in order to install the Gapps zip now.
- Return to main custom Recovery and reboot the phone in normal mode.
- the first boot process will take a while to load all the new files, so you shouldn’t press any buttons while the files are loading.
- Enter your Google Account info and take control over device.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully install the new Carbon KitKat ROM.
In case the first boot process fails, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial. Also, use the comments field below in order to ask for more help.