Do you want to change the classic Android user interface on your Google Nexus 7 tablet with a new and customizable one? If so, then I have something exciting for you as the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 based Dark ParanoidAndroid custom ROM firmware is here. This update is coming with the unusual Dark Android user interface, all the shiny colors form your tablet being replaced with sober ones, the same applying for the appearances, icons and almost everything else.
But the new dark user interface is not all, as by installing this custom ROM you will also update your Google Asus Nexus 7 with the ParanoidAndroid features and capabilities, so that you will be able to receive and enjoy an improved Android 4.1.1 experience.
Now, if you want to flash the Dark ParanoidAndroid software, you will first have to prepare your Google Nexus 7 for the installation procedure which is being explained and detailed during the present step by step guide. You must complete the next pre requisites because you are dealing with a custom ROM firmware which is being developed by third party devs (those of xda-developers are being responsible for this so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial), meaning that you must apply a manual method for applying the OS improvement. Furthermore, since the Jelly Bean Dark ParanoidAndroid isn’t coming from Asus for your Google Nexus 7, this operation is being considered risky, so you must be careful in what you do.
A backup must be performed before going any further as a full wipe of the system will be required. Also, complex operations will shortly follow, so you don’t want to risk in losing your personal info. Therefore, take your time and complete a full and safe backup; for that you can anytime take a look over our how to section and search for suitable backup and restore tutorials. You have all the info needed for saving the text messages, contacts, market apps, internet settings, calendar info and so on, so don’t hesitate and use the same.
Now, you need to have a rooted Google Nexus 7 in order to install the Android 4.1.1 ParanoidAndroid update. If not, you should go and gain root access now, or else you will not be able to apply the below steps. For easily root the tablet use our suitable guides. Be aware though as by rooting the warranty gets void; you can regain the same by downgrading to the stock ROM and reset the flash counter or by updating to an official OS released by Asus. After unchaining the system, a custom recovery image must be installed on your handset (you will see that this tool is the most important one for us).
For the last part that is referring to the pre requisites, you need to enable the USB debugging option on your tablet, deactivate the security tools that run on both your computer and Nexus 7 and charge the battery of your device. If you had performed all the above mentioned tasks then you can safely head to the proper guide from below. The steps are there, so you are almost done. Anyway, before you begin the update operation, you should know that this process will work only for the Asus Nexus 7, so don’t try to flash the Dark ParanoidAndroid ROM on a different Android based handset.
How to Update Google Nexus 7 with Dark ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the update file from here.
- Also, download the Google Apps package suitable for the Dark ParanoidAndroid platform from here.
- Save both files on your computer and then copy the same on your tablet (connect it with the computer for that).
- Then, remove the USB cord and turn off the device.
- CWM recovery must be reached and for that you need to reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the Android logo is displayed.
- Next, by using the Volume down key select recovery and confirm by pressing on the Power button.
- CWM recovery menu should now be displayed.
- From there first of all select to wipe the system: “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu from recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can pick the downloaded update file and also flash it into the system.
- Then, re-do the last step for installing the Google Apps package too.
- Don’t make any other changes in recovery just wait a couple of minutes for the process to end.
- Finally, when everything is over, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, your Asus Google Nexus 7 has been finally updated with the Dark ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM firmware. Test the new OS and do share your impressions with us. Tell us how you find the new user interface and if the features works as expected. If there are bugs or things that aren’t working, report the same by using the comments area from below. Also, stay close or subscribe to us for receiving the latest tutorials, tips and Android related news.