Update Google Nexus 7 to MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM
The ASUS / Google Nexus 7 tablet was the first devices that came with stock Jelly Bean Android 4.1 and since then it received some updates for custom ROMs and such. Now, there is a new custom ROM that you can install on it and that’s the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM and you can flash it only if you read the entire post. Use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user.
MIUI ROM has just moved to Jelly Bean 4.1 and now you can install it on the Nexus 7 tablet. It comes with very few bugs and all JB 4.1.1 features and functions are working 100%. If you want to correctly update your device, then you will have to read the preparation guide below:
- install this update only on the ASUS / Google Nexus 7 tablet. Do not try to install the ROM on any other Android device nor on other tablets.
- the tablet has to be on an unlocked bootloader and it has to be rooted. Also, CWM Recovery should be installed. This guide HERE will help you do all that. If your device already meets these requirements, then you should move to the next step.
- Remember to move all important files on your computer so that in case your device gets damaged in the process, you will still be able to restore them back on your tablet.
- Applications can be backed using AppBak tool for Android. APN Internet Settings can be saved using this app here.
- If your device is rooted then you can create a full backup of the existing ROM and that file can be used and restored in case you don’t like how MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM works.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Jelly Bean settings menu.
- Charge the tablet’s battery so that this won’t power off during the installation of MIUI ROM.
- You’re installing this new ROM at your own risk and you should carefully apply all the instructions. Do not attempt to flash this new custom JB 4.1 ROM on your tablet if you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Read the entire post and only when you’re sure that you wish to install it, you should also proceed with the installation of MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1.1 custom ROM on your ASUS Nexus 7 device.
Now that you’ve read all this info above, I think that you can move to the tutorial guide and learn how to successfully flash the custom ROM. Remember that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets bricked. Also, if you hit any roadblocks, you should ask for help by leaving a comment at the end of this article. The comments section can be used to post any bugs or errors you might find while using the ROM.
How to install MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM On ASUS Google Nexus 7 tablet
- Download the ROM zip file HERE. Save the file on your computer’s desktop screen and do not extract the files contained in the archive.
- Now, move the MIUI ROM zip file on your tablet’s internal sd card. It can be done by connecting the device to your PC via USB Cable. After the transfer is complete you should unplug the device from PC.
- Power OFF the ASUS Nexus 7 tablet and after that boot into CWM Recovery mode.
- Enter ClockworkMod Recovery by holding at the same time the following buttons: volume up, volume down and Power. When the CWM or TWRP Recovery menu loads you can move to the next step.
- Now, you can create a Nandroid backup of the currently installed ROM as this can be done by selecting ‘backup and restore’. Select ‘backup to internal sdcard’ and confirm. When the backup of the ROM is complete you can continue with the rest of this guide’s installation steps. If you already made a backup then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and then confirm that you wish to apply this step. This will allow the new ROM to boot after installation.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new menu select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’ or ‘choose zip from sdcard’, as it depends where you copied the ROM.
- Find the MIUI Jelly Bean custom ROM zip and install it.
- After the installation is finished you can return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then wait for the first boot into this new ROM to complete. Note that this process will take at least 5 minutes to complete and you shouldn’t press anything.
- When the first boot process finishes loading all the files, you will be greeted by the MIUI ROM Jelly Bean homescreen. Enter your Google account credentials and then start testing this new ROM.
NOTE: If the first boot process takes too long to finish, something like 15 minutes, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again as the ROM wasn’t installed. Eventually you should manage to update the device.
In case you cannot install the MIUI ROM, then you should ask for our help in comments and we will give you extra instructions. However, if you don’t like this MIUI ROM for Nexus 7, then you should use CWM Recovery or ROM Manager and restore the backup of the previously installed ROM.
If you want any extra tips and tricks on how to improve your tablet, please click the device’s name listed under this article’s featured picture. Remember to return to our website in the future and you will find numerous extra guides on how to improve the Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean experience.