The Nexus 7 got its update to Android 4.2.1 official JOP40D firmware and, you already learned how to install it on your tablet. But, now you can learn how to successfully flash the same OTA update with some modifications that makes it a pre-rooted and deodexed ROM. Use this tutorial in order how to successfully flash this file on your device.
This new ROM is already rooted and de-odexed by ‘Scrosler’ from XDA forums, the same creator of CleanROM releases. It is the same Android 4.2.1 JOP40D OTA update but with some edited features. It has been released for users that want to install to update their tablet to the latest edition of Android Jelly Bean and now are waiting for a root guide. However, this new ROM means that the wait in over as you will get your tablet rooted by installing the same stock firmware.
To correctly flash this ROM, you will first need to read the preparation guide below:
- This is a guide destined to be used only with the Google Nexus 7 tablet device. Do not attempt to flash its files on any other Android device.
- It will update your tablet to Android 4.2.1 stock JOP40D firmware and it is already rooted and de-odexed, which means that you don’t need to search for any other rooting guide.
- The Nexus 7 you’re about to update should be on an unlocked bootloader and it should run TWRP or CWM Recovery image. Without these you cannot update the tablet.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the developer options.
- Create a complete NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. This file will be useful in case you cannot use the tablet after the update is applied like it would happen in case you brick it.
- Create backups of your most important files by moving them onto your PC. The update will delete all the files from your tablet, which means that after the install you will have to re-install all apps.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong during the update process.
- Read the entire post and make sure that the tablet’s battery is charged.
- In case you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to find a solution for you.
These were all the guidelines you had to read. Now you should move to the tutorial and learn how to successfully flash the new Jelly Bean update.
How to install pre-rooted and de-odexed Android 4.2.1 JOP40D Firmware OTA update on Google Nexus 7:
- Download the Stock Rooted Android 4.2.1 ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop screen and don’t extract its contents.
- Now connect your tablet to your computer. Move the ROM zip file onto its internal SD card and then unplug the Nexus 7 from PC.
- Power off your Nexus 7 device.
- Boot into Recovery mode by pressing ‘volume up’, ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons all at the same time. Release the buttons when a new screen appears and now you will need to press ‘Volume up’ two times to select the Recovery Mode option. Press the Power button to confirm that you want to boot the Custom Recovery mode.
- Now, if you didn’t make a Nandroid backup, then you should create one now by selecting ‘backup’ option and select the System, Data and Boot parts to be backed up. Press START to begin the ROM backup of your currently installed OS. If you already have such file created, then you can get to the next step.
- Press the ‘Wipe’ option and from the new menu select ‘Factory reset’. Confirm that you want to wipe the data from your tablet.
- Press ‘Install’ and now you should find the ‘Stock Rooted JOP40D’ zip file and confirm that you wish to install it.
- TWRP Recovery starts to update your device and flash all the necessary files. When the update is complete you should return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Select ‘Reboot’ and now your Nexus 7 will boot for the first time with this new Android 4.2.1 JOP40D Jelly Bean ROM.
- Test this new OTA update and tell us in comments if it has improved your device’s performance.
NOTE: The first boot process after the ROM is installed will take a while before completing, which is why you should wait until that happens without pressing any Nexus 7 buttons.
These are all the instructions that I had for you. If you find any bugs or you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for extra help in comments. Also, you can find more info about the ones who released this ROM on this XDA thread.