This is an unofficial preview alpha build of the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and it can be installed on your Google Nexus 7 device. Also, there is another guide that features a ROM based on CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean. However, this post contains instructions for the AOKP custom ROM and you should read the entire tutorial and only after that you should start updating the device.
The AOKP comes from Android Open Kang Project and it is a popular release for Android devices. In this article you will find an unofficial release of AOKP Jelly Bean which is also an alpha preview build that you should use only if you wish to test it. It might contain bugs and other errors. Also, not all Jelly Bean apps were improved with this AOKP release and you should be careful while using it. When an official AOKP release for Nexus 7 will be available, you will be find it here on our web site.
Before we can start to update your device, you will need to read the preparation guide and learn what steps are needed so that you’ll successfully configure your device and install the AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM successfully. Here’s what you need to know:
- this guide will work exclusively with the Google Nexus 7 device. Do not install it on other Android devices as you might end up damaging them.
- your Nexus 7 should be on an unlocked bootloader and rooted. Also, CWM recovery has to be installed on it.
- the tutorial will ask you to wipe data and this means that you should move all important files on your device’s SD card, as this one won’t be deleted by the wipe data process.
- to backup the applications and the APN Settings you should use these guides and utilities: AppBAK for Android apps backups | APN Settings Backup & Restore. The APN Settings should be saved so that in case you cannot use data connection with Jelly Bean, then you will be able to restore the correct values for internet options.
- Also, you can choose to create a full backup of the ROM that you’re currently using on your Nexus 7. You will be able to restore that one in case you don’t like this AOKP or you find it too buggy and error-full.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android settings menu.
- Charge the tablets’ battery so that it won’t power OFF while you’re installing this unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean preview build ROM.
- Install this custom ROM only if you’re interested in testing an early release of AOKP. Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you damage or brick the tablet. Make sure that you know all the terms listed in this post and you should first read the entire tutorial and only after that you should move to the tutorial guide.
Now that you know all of the above you should continue reading the rest of this article. In case you cannot complete the tutorial, you should ask for my help in comments.
Install unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean Alpha custom ROM on your Google Nexus 7
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE and save it on your computer’s desktop.
- Next download the Google Apps package from HERE. This is the file that has to be flashed after the update is complete as it will install the Play Store and all other Google-based apps. Make sure to download the file that is for Jelly Bean, as the other ones are for ICS and other Android versions.
- After you download these files you should move them on your tablet’s SD card. After that, unplug the device from your PC and turn it OFF.
- Now boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. When screen shows the main custom recovery menu you should move to the next step.
- First thing that you need to do in CWM recovery is to create a Nandroid backup of the existing Nexus 7 ROM. Select ‘backup and restore’ and then select ‘backup’. Wait for the backup process to complete and then return to the main recovery screen. Note that in case you have created a full ROM backup before getting here then you should skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data / factory reset’ and confirm this process.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and when you’re shown the next menu you have to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Point the custom recovery screen to the location of the ROM zip file and highlight it. Confirm its installation and wait for this process to be completed successfully.
- After the ROM is installed you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and this time you have to flash the GApps file.
- When both the ROM and Google Applications files were installed you will need to return to the main ClockworkMod Recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process is completed. Note that this might take at least 5 minutes and the only thing you can is to wait. If the boot takes over 15 minutes or your device gets into a boot loop then it might have been bricked or the ROM didn’t install successfully, which means that you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If everything worked then you will see the home screen of AOKP Jelly Bean and you should start testing its features and functions. For any extra questions use the comment section.
These were all the steps you had to take and now your Google Nexus 7 tablet should be running the unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean alpha custom ROM. Test its functions and in case you find any bugs, errors, new tricks, Easter eggs or any other interesting thing about it, leave a comment so that all other users will learn about them before installing the files.