Update Google Nexus S with CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM
The Samsung Google Nexus S users can update their devices with a new custom ROM firmware, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based Avatar software. As usual, the ROM has been developed and is now offered by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide) and during the next few lines we will be checking on how to install the same on your Google Nexus S. Also, the Avatar firmware is being powered by the CM10.1 and MIUI platforms so important features and capabilities imported from the same will be installed on your handset.
As mentioned, the software is coming with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on top of all, meaning that you will be able to update your Nexus S with the latest version of the Android OS. Furthermore, you have nothing to worry about because the Avatar ROM is stable with no bugs and issues, the platform working smoothly on the Google Nexus S. Anyway, this is not the only Jelly Bean based software available for the Samsung Nexus S as recently we have showed you how to update your phone with the JellyBam and Xylon ROMs, so before starting this tutorial check the other updates available for your smartphone.
So, Avatar is based on CM10.1 and MIUI; this means that most of the Avatar features are being ported from the mentioned ROMs along with some apps, themes and so on. Therefore, this is a mixed firmware that comes with a custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS that is customized and optimized so that you can receive more power from your Google Nexus S. Actually after installing the update on your phone you will also notice that beside the extra features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android 4.2.2 system) the battery life has been improved, the speeds increased, there are new themes and background images and you have more options and by using the same you can easily interact with the internal system of your handset.
It should be clear for you that this is not an official update therefore you cannot OTA or by using KIES apply the same. So, a manual method must be completed. Furthermore this is not an official update operation and by performing the same you will void the Nexus S warranty. The CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware is being offered by third party devs and not by Samsung or Google which means that the present tutorial has nothing to do with the mentioned companies.
Now, let’s begin the flashing procedure. First of all, you need to complete the pre requisites for preparing the smartphone; else you will not be able to properly install the ROM into its system, or worst you can even end up in bricking your device. Also, if you still need more info about the Avatar software, then you can anytime check our source page by using the link from here.
- You need to root the Nexus S before starting to apply the steps from below; if you have a rooted handset then you can skip this step.
- Then, you must install a custom recovery image on your phone. Be aware as the recovery image can be flashed only on rooted smartphones. Again, if your Google Nexus S is already installed with such a tool you can skip this step.
- The warranty will get void; for restoring the same you need to downgrade / update to stock / official OS, or just unroot the system.
- Backup the Samsung Nexus S data because a wipe will have to be performed; else you cannot install the CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 software. If your device is rooted it is recommended to do a Nandroid backup too. Save also the internet settings and the EFS folder before going any further.
- Ensure that a computer or notebook is near you; do the same for your phone and its USB cable.
- On both computer and handset all the security programs must be deactivated or uninstalled; these tools are usually interfering with the update operation.
- The Nexus S should be charged before starting the installation procedure; at least ensure that there is more than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone.
- Use this method only if you own the Samsung Nexus S; the tutorial will work only on the mentioned device.
How to Update Google Nexus S with CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from this page.
- Then, download Google Apps package from here.
- Save both files on your computer without extracting.
- Connect the phone with the computer via USB cable.
- Select the downloaded files and copy-paste the same on your device.
- Remove the USB cable and turn off the Nexus S.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Wait until the recovery mode menu is being displayed.
- By using the same select to wipe the system (first remember to backup the data): “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery: “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the same.
- Then, repeat the procedure for installing the Google Apps package too.
- When the process ends, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
If the first boot will take longer than usual don’t worry as there is nothing wrong with your phone. Also, if in the end you will get a boot loop you will then have to boot into recovery mode once more and repeat the wipe procedure. Finally reboot your device and everything should be fine. For any other problems, or for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us, use the comments area from below.
So, that was all for today. You now know how to manually update the Google Nexus S with the CM10.1 and MIUI based Avatar Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Test the new ROM and see how it performs on your handset. Also, don’t hesitate and do tell us how you find the software and tell us if you are satisfied or not by its looks, features and performances.