After we have showed you how to update your Samsung Nexus S with the JellyBam Android 4.2.1 firmware, you should know that another CM10 and AOKP based custom ROM has been made available. This time, the software is coming with the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.2 platform, so if you want to update your Google Nexus S to the same, follow this tutorial and learn how to install the Xylon ROM on your smartphone.
The Xylon platform is already available for the Galaxy S and Google Nexus 4 and the users who had tried the software had stated that the ROM is fast, offers important and powerful features and the system is stable and smoothly works on their Android based handsets. That’s why now, those of xda-developers had decided to develop a suitable version for the Nexus S too and we will do our best in order to teach you how to install the same on your phone.
As we all know, there won’t be any future official updates released by Samsung and Google for the Nexus S (beside Android 4.1), so if you want to get and test the latest version of the Android OS you will have to install a custom ROM firmware. Now, the Xylon software comes with features from other platforms, like CM10 and AOKP, meaning that you will be able to enjoy an optimized and customized system that can easily power up the performances of your Nexus S and also flash the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS.
Anyway, do consider that this is a custom ROM and not an official update, so be careful in what you do. This operation is complex and risky meaning that you can even end up in bricking your device (if you are not following a suitable step by step guide for applying the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Xylon firmware on the Nexus S). Furthermore do prepare your smartphone (by completing the pre requisites list from below) before heading to the proper flashing procedure or else you will not be able to update your phone to Android 4.2.2.
But first, if you would like to learn more about the CM10 and AOKP based Xylon Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM you can anytime check our source page (click here) where you have the features list, some screenshots and almost anything else you need to know about the Xylon firmware. Then, of course, return to our tutorial and apply the pre requisites from below and then the update procedure.
- You need to have a rooted Google Nexus S; by rooting you will remove the factory restrictions so that you can have access to the internal system of your device. Well, for this operation the root access must be granted or else the Xylon ROM can’t be applied.
- The warranty of your handset will be void (because we are dealing with an unofficial procedure).
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock ROM.
- You need to install a custom recovery image on your phone. Be aware as a custom recovery can be flashed only on a rooted system. Also, the app will be used for installing a .zip file (the update one) on your smartphone so it is extremely important to complete this step.
- Backup the Google Nexus data (contacts, messages, call logs, EFS and so on) and also make a Nandroid backup because you will have to wipe the system a little bit later.
- Then, as a general aspect, you need to have access to a computer where all the security programs (like antivirus) must be deactivated or uninstalled (do the same on your phone).
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Nexus S by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Take a look on your phone and if you notice that there is less than 60% power left charge the battery; if different you can skip this part.
- Remember that this tutorial is suitable only for the Samsung Nexus S; if you want to install the Xylon Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM on a different device you will have to follow and apply a similar (but not this) step by step guide.
How to Update Google Nexus S to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Xylon Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file by using the link from here.
- Download the Google apps package by using this link.
- Save the files on your computer.
- You now need to connect the phone with the PC (use the USB cable) as you have to copy the downloaded files from the computer to your device.
- Then, disconnect the devices and turn the Nexus S off.
- Reboot your handset into recovery mode.
- By using the recovery mode menu wipe the system.
- The wipe can be applied by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu.
- And install the update by selecting “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the same; shortly after that, repeat the procedure for installing the Google apps package too.
- When the flashing process is over, again return to the main menu (select “+++go back+++”) and from there select “reboot system now”.
- If you will get a boot loop, you need to reboot into recovery mode once more and wipe the system as showed above.
And with that you are done. So, congratulations you have managed to update your Samsung Nexus S to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS by manually installing the CM10 and AOKP based Xylon custom ROM. So, test the new firmware and share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users who might want to install the same, by using the comments area from below.