Update Google Nexus S to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using CM 10.1 M3 Snapshot ROM
The Milestone snapshot of CM 10.1 reached its 3rd installment and you can update your Samsung / Google Nexus S device with it. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully flash all the files for your device in no time.
This M3 build of CyanogenMod 10.1 is easy to install and in order to do it, you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only for the Nexus S smartphone aka ‘crespo’ model. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Android device.
- the phone should be rooted and it should feature a CWM Recovery image. Alternatively, you can use the TWRP Recovery as the instructions are very similar.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM. You will set a restore point for your phone and it can be used in case you don’t like the new OS.
- the tutorial will ‘factory reset’ the device and that means that all the contents from the /system device will be removed. The installed apps and other similar data will be removed.
- if you want to backup SMS, call logs and APN internet settings use the following applications: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options menu.
- This guide is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame use in case you brick the device or you lose any data in the process.
- Make sure that the battery power levels are over 40% before starting the update.
- Don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial. Ask for extra help in comments if you cannot complete the update.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a custom ROM.
How to install CM 10.1 M3 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the Google Nexus S:
- Download the CM 10.1 M3 ROM zip from HERE.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 JB ROMs from HERE.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC. Copy both files to the phone’s internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode.
- When in Recovery mode, select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a NANDROID backup of your current OS.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ now. Confirm. NOTE: in case your device is running on a previous build of CM 10.1 M3 ROM, then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 M3 ROM zip and confirm that you wish to install it.
- Next, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option again and then find the Gapps zip. Confirm its installation.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery menu when all files have been successfully installed.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the device powers into normal Mode.
- Take control over your phone once again using your Google credentials and that should be all.
Now that you’ve managed to install the new OS, you can begin to test all of its features.
NOTE: if the update isn’t completed at your first attempt, then you should power off the device completely. After that, repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 5 and make sure that the second time you won’t skip the step 7 actions. If you still cannot complete the update, then you can ask fore extra help in comments and we will try to come up with a solution to your problems.