Google has published the official Android 8.1.0 Official OTA images for the Pixel 2 XL phones.
Check the info below and learn how to manually complete the new update without waiting for the new update to be rolled out in your region over-the-air.
The Google Pixel 2 XL has only been launched in October 2017, but they were launched with Android 8.0 firmware, and now Google has decided that these devices should be upgraded to Android 8.1.
The new Oreo 8.1.0 OS upgrade brings several tweaks and improvements: wallpaper-based themes, revamped Settings menu, and others more.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use the guide only for the Google Pixel 2 XL.
– don’t update other different Nexus / Pixel models with the files found in this post.
- this new official Android 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) firmware has to be flashed only over the previous (OPD1.170816.025, Nov 2017) Android 8.0.0 build.
- if the Pixel 2 XL OS that’s currently installed has been modified in any way, then the update process won’t work.
- enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if you cannot find Developer Options, then you will have to unhide this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, as Developer Options will be listed there.
- this tutorial has to be installed only by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
- read the entire guide and don’t skip any of the steps listed below.
If you are unsure about manually installing the new update, then you should wait for Google to send the new firmware over-the-air in your region.
How to install Android 8.1.0 OTA Update for Google Pixel 2 XL using ADB Sideloading:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Android ADB drivers and Platform-Tools. This will help the computer detect the Pixel 2 XL when these two are connected via usb cable.
Here’s how to setup Platform-Tools:
- download the Platform-Tools archive from the links below:
– for Windows click here.
– for Mac click here.
– for Linux click here.
- when the download is done you have to extract the files from the archive and save them on your PC.
– make a Platform-Tools folder and place the extracted files in it.
- download Google USB drivers from here.
Install Android 8.1.0 OTA Image update for Pixel 2 XL using ADB Sideload:
- Download Android 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) archive file from here.
- After the download is done you need to change the file name to update.zip
– this will allow you to load the file in command prompt easier.
- Place the update.zip in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the Pixel 2 XL.
- Boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Connect the Pixel 2 XL to computer via usb cable.
Make sure that the phone has been detected by the computer and continue to the next step.
- Launch the command prompt/ terminal window for other OS’ in Platform-Tools.
- Enter the following command line in order to initiate the Android 8.1.0 update process: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm flashing process and wait for the update to be applied successfully.
- When installation is done you need to unplug the phone from PC and reboot it.
Use your usual login info in order to regain control over your smartphone once again.
These were all the steps you had to follow in order to complete the new official update for your Pixel 2 XL phone.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial you should tell us in comments. Make sure that in case installation fails, then you can repeat the process more than once. But, make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t skip any steps listed above.