Update GSM HTC One V to AOKP 4.1 Jelly Bean Custom ROM
After we have seen how to install the Jelly Bean based AOKP custom ROM firmware on the CDMA version of the HTC One V smartphone, it’s now time to see how to apply the same update on the GSM variant of the One V devices. Completing this step by step guide will not be an easy task to handle, so pay attention and read all the lines from below. You have all the info needed explained and detailed, so all you need to do is to stick with the tutorial and to perform the steps with patience.
The AOKP Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for the GSM HTC One V is not a firmware offered by HTC so you are not installing an official Android platform; this is a beta ROM which is being developed by third party devs. Unfortunately we don’t know by when you will be able to receive the official Jelly Bean port for your GSM One V, so this guide should be perfect for those who want to test the latest Android flavor on their own handsets. Furthermore, a custom ROM is coming with features that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system, so by flashing the same you will also power up the performances of your beloved phone.
The first thing to do when you are dealing with such operations is to backup the data. By manually updating your GSM HTC One V to Jelly Bean you agree with wiping the data out; the operation will affect only the data which is saved on the internal storage memory so you don’t have to backup the SD card too. So, before starting to install the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM you should first store your personal info. For helping you out, here are some backup and restore tips:
- If you want to save the text messages, then you can download backup and restore SMS apps from Google Play store.
- The call logs can be stored by downloading suitable backup and restore apps for Android.
- The contacts list is extremely important for all of us. Therefore save it by learning how to use the Android cloud. You can do this by syncing with your Gmail account.
- The Internet settings can also be backed up.
- If you want to be sure that nothing bad happens, then you can even save and restore when needed the current ROM. For this you need to install a custom recovery image first.
- Files like images or videos can be stored on a computer or on the SD card.
As soon as the backup is performed you can head your attention towards more complex operations. Gaining root access is one of these operations as you will not be able to update the One V to Jelly Bean AOKP unless you first root the current OS. So, go and root your phone and then return and resume the rest of the steps from the present tutorial. Be aware though as by rooting the warranty will get void (it can be restored by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating to official software). Then, right after the root operation, you must install a custom recovery image, preferable CWM recovery, on your HTC One V. This tool will be used for the installation procedure, so it’s extremely important to have it on your device.
After performing these tasks, you should take a look over the following list. You have here the main pre requisites. Without completing the same there will be bug chances to brick your phone while trying to update it. So, take your time, check the list as you are almost ready for the proper steps.
- You will have to use a Windows running PC with Internet connection enabled.
- Also the phone’s USB cord should be near you.
- Next, on the computer you will use and on the One V, deactivate the antivirus, Firewall and any other protection.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone.
- Charge its battery.
- Apply the following steps only if you own the GSM variant of the HTC One V; for the CDMA version of the same check out our how to section or click on the link from above.
- Download Fastboot from here and extract it to C:\ drive.
You are now ready for updating your V to Jelly Bean OS. Follow the next steps and try not to mess things up as the warranty was void. Pay attention and don’t perform things by yourselves, always follow my directions.
How to Update GSM HTC One V to AOKP Jelly Bean Custom ROM
- First, download the update file from here and place it to your computer.
- Then, download the Google Apps package from here; save it to the same PC.
- Extract the update file.
- Now, copy the boot.img file to the Fastboot folder (download link for fastboot is above).
- Turn off the phone.
- Enter it in fastboot mode.
- You can achieve fastboot by booting in bootloader (press and hold Volume down while powering on). Then, select the fastboot mode by using the volume buttons to navigate and power button to select.
- Connect the device with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On your computer go to “Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> now right-click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator”.
- On the cmd window that opens type the following: cd c:\Fastboot; fastboot device and fastboot flash boot boot.img.
- In the end the “OK” message should be displayed in CMD.
- Now, disconnect the device from the PC.
- Reboot in recovery mode (the same as for fastboot only this time choose recovery).
- From recovery first select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, “+++go back+++” for returning to the recovery menu.
- Now, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the ROM file first, install it and then do the same for flashing the Google Apps package on your HTC One V.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++”and “reboot system now”.
So, there you have it; that was the how to procedure from which you could learn how to update the GSM HTC One V to AOKP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. That wasn’t so difficult wasn’t it? Anyway, if you have questions or if something went wrong, share the issues with us so that we can help you out. Also, test the new ROM and tell us how you find it, or if there are bugs in the system. Stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips.