Update GSM Motorola Razr / Razr Maxx XT910 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS
As you know Verizon recently released the long expected official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 updated for the Motorola Droid Razr and Razr Maxx, making the GSM users of the same device wondering when the firmware would be rolled out for their devices too. Well, actually the first version of the official Android 4.1.2 OS for the Razr / Razr Maxx XT910 (which is the GSM variant of the handset) has been leaked by those of xda-developers meaning that now you can easily install the same on your smartphone.
Now, even though this is the official Jelly Bean update that will be OTA released for the GSM Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx, it should be clear for you that we are dealing with the leaked variant of the software. Because of that there might be some issues and bugs included in the firmware, which of course will be resolved as soon as the update will be made available. Don’t worry though as according to our sources (we have to thanks those of xda-developers for the present step by step guide) you can safely apply the leaked Jelly Bean OS because the problems are minor ones.
The procedure described below is quite complex, so do read all the lines from below; don’t head straight to the flashing operation because you can end up in bricking your smartphone. It is extremely important to apply the pre requisites before going any further, or else you will not be able to safely update your Motorola Razr / Razr Maxx XT910 to official Jelly Bean ROM. Again, this guide will not work for the Verizon version of the handsets, so be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up.
- You will be able to install the leaked Android 4.1.2 software on both rooted and un-rooted Razr / Razr Maxx phones, though the system files should be totally unchanged for the update’s installation to succeed.
- Your devices should be running on stock ICS 4.0 platform, version number 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU; go to “settings -> about phone” and ensure that the mentioned OS is installed and running on your GSM Razr / Razr Maxx.
- Before applying the Jelly Bean update make sure that you make a backup for saving all of your personal info. It is unlikely to lose something by flashing an official firmware, but when it comes to your data you can never be too sure.
- Then, make sure that your smartphone has enough battery life for staying “alive” during the update operation; therefore is there is less than 60% power left first charge the battery.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook.
- Deactivate the antivirus protection from your computer and phone; also uninstall all the other security programs before going any further.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Motorola Razr XT910.
In case you have a rooted smartphone, before updating to leaked Jelly Bean software, you will have to perform the following tasks:
- Go to Google Pay store and download the OTA RootKeeper app (download link here).
- Install the tool on your handset and run the same.
- Backup the root status by selecting “Protect root”.
- Next, select “Temp Unroot” for removing root access.
- Now you can safely update your device.
Apply the next steps only if you have completed the pre requisites or else you will not be able to succeed with the installation operation. Also, remember that this is the leaked version of the official Jelly Bean OTA update which will be released by Motorola for the GSM version of the Razr and Razr Maxx. Therefore, the tutorial will work only on the mentioned handsets; if you own the Verizon Razr / Razr Maxx, then for updating to official Android 4.1.2 software use the guide from here.
How to Update GSM Motorola Razr XT910 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS
- On your computer download the update file from here.
- Then, you must have an SD card inserted on your device or else you will not be able to apply the firmware; the update can’t be flashed from the internal storage memory.
- So next, connect the phone with the computer via USB cable.
- Select the downloaded file and copy-paste it, or just drag and drop, from the computer to the phone’s SD card.
- Turn off the device and reboot into recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be entered by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Volume down buttons until the boot menu is being displayed. Now, highlight the “recovery” option and press on Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together in order to boot into recovery.
- From the recovery first select “wipe cache”.
- Up next, select “install/apply update from external sdcard/storage”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and wait while the firmware is being installed on your Razr / Razr Maxx.
- In the end, select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, now your GSM Motorola Razr / Razr Maxx is being running the official (though leaked version) Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. As mentioned there might be some bugs and issues into the platform so test the new software and see how it performs. Don’t hesitate and use the comments area from below for sharing your impressions and opinions with us.
As a final note, those who want to restore root access back, here is what you need to do:
- On your phone launch the OTA RootKeeper once more.
- Now, just click on the option named “Restore Root”.
- That’s all, now you will have root access again.