The HTC Desire HD2 users might be a little bit frustrated as there is no official Ice Cream Sandwich OS update released for their handsets. Furthermore, I have to add that there are no info regarding to a possible future launch of the already mentioned firmware and HTC didn’t mentioned anything reliable about this subject yet. But, for those who just can’t wait, I have good news: a custom ROM firmware, named Dorimanx, has been leaked for your HTC Desire HD 2 smartphone. So, in today’s step by step guide I will show you how to update your HD 2 by installing this new custom ROM into its system.
The firmware is being based on the Cyanogen mod 7 platform, which means that the latest software coming from Google will also be flashed on your phone’s system. Of course, you will not get the official version of the OS, but at least you will be able to enjoy its features and capabilities. In this way you can power up the performances of your HD 2 and also customize and optimize its internal system. Not to worry, the procedure is easy to understand, all you need to do is to follow this tutorial. Don’t try to apply the update by yourselves because you can brick your device. More, be sure that you follow the steps from below only for an HTC HD 2 smartphone; don’t use the same for similar phones.
As usual, the Dorimanx custom ROM has been developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for the possibility of updating the HTC Desire HD2. The software is coming with important features and improvements, which are being listed in the image from below. Take a look and see if you find these updates important enough for flashing them on your device. Also, take note that the looks from your phone will be changed, a new interface being added. Furthermore, new wallpapers, themes and backgrounds effects are included in the Dorimanx firmware.
Being an unofficial firmware, the Dorimanx custom ROM is having some negative aspects too. By installing it on your HTC Desire HD 2 you will lose the phone’s warranty. In case something bad happens you will be on your own. Also, you need to root your handset first and install a custom recovery image on it. If you don’t complete these operations, you will not be able to flash the ROM.
Then, for your own safety, backup the data saved on the HD 2. As you will see, somewhere on the beginning of the procedure, you will have to make a full wipe of the system. This means that you can lose important info such as: contacts, messages, calendar saves, images and videos, Market apps and so on. We have some tips for you just for making the above mentioned in the shortest time possible. So, read them before starting the update operation.
- Backup SMS and MMS messages: download backup and restore apps for Android.
- Backup Call log: download backup and restore tools.
- Backup the current ROM: learn how to install and use Clockworkmod recovery.
- Backup contacts: sync with your Google account.
- Backup images and video files: use a computer, or the phone’s SD card.
Now, finally, you have to make sure that the computer and the device will be used properly. For that, you should charge the Desire HD2 battery to a minimum of 70% of its power. Then, deactivate the security tools located / installed on both the handset and the computer. And on your smartphone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”; enable the USB debugging option.
The last section of this tutorial is referring to the proper installation process. So, you are almost done. Remember that you need to follow and do exactly as explained here; the warranty will be void, so don’t mess things up.
How to Update HTC Desire HD 2 by Installing the Dorimanx Custom ROM Firmware
- First, use the computer for saving the files needed. Go here, and download the update package.
- Then, you must copy this file to your phone. For that take its USB cord and connect the device with the PC. Copy- paste the firmware downloaded from the computer to your handset.
- As soon as you are done, remove the USB cable and disconnect the HD 2 from the PC.
- Reboot it and enter in recovery mode. For this, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power one until you see the recovery mode screen on your phone.
- In recovery mode select to perform a full wipe.
- Then, from the recovery home screen select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card” and pick the Dorimanx Custom ROM Firmware from where you placed it.
- The installation process will now begin.
- Don’t press anything.
- After 5 or 10 minutes you should be back on the recovery mode menu.
- From here select “go back” and “reboot system now”.
As soon as your phone reboots, you will see that the Dorimanx Custom ROM Firmware is running on it. Give it a try and see how it performs and if there are bugs in the system. The software should work perfectly and the features should improve the performances. Test the speeds and see the results. Share your opinions with us and tell as if you are satisfied with this custom ROM. If not we will try to bring other methods in which you can update your HTC Desire HD 2 smartphone. Also, stay close as we are updating you with Android related step by step guides daily.