Even though there are no details about a possible OTA Jelly Bean update, you can still enjoy the latest Android experience on your HTC Desire HD smartphone, as the Android 4.1 based Jellytime custom ROM firmware has just been made available for your device. So, today you will be able to learn how to manually update your Desire HD to Jelly Bean OS and this by following and completing the next step by step guide. The tutorial will be easy to perform and applying the proper steps will only take a couple of minutes from your time; of course before that you need to take care of the pre requisites, so let’s get started with the same.
What you should know about the Jellytime ROM is that it is based on the latest CM10 firmware, so your HTC Desire HD will be updated with many features and capabilities. The software was developed by those of xda developers and according to them this is not yet a stable version of the firmware. Apparently you will not be able to use the headset buttons on this Jellytime variant; fortunately for you, other things like WiFi Tethering, camera, Mic, accelerometer, audio, Bluetooth, hw acceleration, GPS or GSM are working perfectly, so you can safely run the Android 4.1 update on your HTC Desire HD.
Remember that this is not an official OS update released by HTC, so you need to prepare your phone for the manual installation procedure. You should start by making a backup for saving the personal info and data from your Desire. A wipe of the system will be required so this operation is not an option for you. You can use our backup and restore tips for saving the contacts, the text messages, the call logs, the internet setting and even the current ROM, so be patience and resolve all of the mentioned tasks (and also the below mentioned ones).
Then, you cannot install the Jelly Bean Jellytime custom ROM on your HTC Desire HD, unless the phone is rooted and has a custom recovery image flashed into its system. You must first gain root access and then install the recovery image. Take note that performing these operations implies in voiding the warranty of your handset. Therefore, be careful in what you do and use a suitable tutorial for the same. Now, the warranty can be restored if you decide so; all you have to do is to downgrade to the stock ROM and that’s it: the warranty will be back, the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
After completing the above operations, you must make sure that you have access to computer or notebook. Also, the phone USB cord should be near you. Then, on the computer and on your HTC Desire HD, uninstall the security options and programs. Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone and charge its battery before applying the steps from below. Furthermore, don’t install the present Jelly Bean update on a similar device with the already mentioned one as you can easily brick it. That being told, you can finally start the update process; read the steps and complete the same carefully.
How to Update HTC Desire HD with Android 4.1.1 based Jellytime Custom ROM
- The first thing to start with is to download the proper file.
- So, go here and download the update package.
- Save this file on your computer.
- Then, just take the USB cord plug it in and connect the handset with the computer.
- Up next you need to place the downloaded file from the PC to your device SD card.
- For that, just copy-paste or drag and drop the file from the computer to your phone SD card.
- Now, you can safely remove the USB cable and disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Recovery mode must be reached.
- For that you need to turn off the device.
- Reboot by holding the Volume Down button while pressing on the Power one.
- Once the recovery mode is being displayed you must select from the menu: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (this is why you need to previously backup the data).
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to recovery.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and then “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update package from your phone and start the flashing process.
- The installation operation should take a couple of minutes; don’t press anything.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
So, there you have it guys; that was the easiest way possible from which you can learn how to update your HTC Desire HD to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean platform. The Jellytime custom ROM is now running on your device so test the same. Then, return here and share your impressions with us and with other users (tell if there are bugs or things that aren’t working). Also, stay close for more update and Android related tips and tricks.