Update HTC Desire HD to Android 4.4.2 OS with CM11 Custom ROM Firmware
HTC Desire HD can be installed with the latest version of Android OS and that even though there isn’t an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for the mentioned Android smartphone. Because of that, we are talking of course about a custom ROM platform which can be flashed in order to update the HTC Desire HD to KitKat 4.4.2 software. The ROM is CM11, so you will be able to enjoy and run maybe the best custom firmware that is currently available on the Android platform. If I have aroused your attention, then don’t hesitate and check the guidelines from below.
HTC Desire HD is not the most powerful Android smartphone out there, but if you are not planning in buying a new device, then I can help you out in powering up the performances of your handset. How? Well, that’s quite easy as we will be checking on how to power your Desire HD and also how to update the same with Android 4.4.2 Custom ROM. All this is possible thanks to the CM11 firmware, which is a powerful ROM that is optimized and customized especially for your HTC Desire HD.
CM11 ROM comes with great features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. Now, these extra features can be used for improving the performances of your HTC Desire HD. Basically, with CM 11 installed, your Desire HD will run faster and better even though Android KitKat will be flashed above all. At the same time, you will be able to obtain more power, enjoy an improved battery life and a redesigned web browsing experience. CM11 is stable and has no bugs or issues; the firmware is smoothly running on the Desire HD, at least this is what the users who have already installed the update declared.
CM11, like any other custom ROM firmware, represents a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. The software is developed by third party devs (we should thanks them for the present step by step guide) and has nothing to do with HTC or with Google. Furthermore, with CM 11 you will not receive the stock Android platform as a modified version of KitKat will be installed on your Desire HD. Also, the user interface has been modified and you will be able to personalize the looks of your phone with ease.
With CM 11 you will have access to the internal system of your HTC Desire HD. Because of that, you will be able to remove bloatware and in build programs, flash a custom kernel, overclock your Android device and lot more. In the end, of course, Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS will be running above all and all thanks to the CM11 platform. In order to obtain all that you need to follow and apply the present tutorial.
The guide can be easily completed, but be careful as if you mess things up, then you can even end up in bricking your Android smartphone. After all this is a manual update operation and not an official one. So, check all the guidelines from this tutorial and don’t perform things without consulting my indications. If you do that, then you have no reasons for being worried; everything will be fine.
The first thing to do is to prepare your smartphone for the update process that will shortly follow. Without preparing your device, you won’t be able to flash CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM. Because of that we have the pre requisites list from below. Read and complete the tasks describe there before doing anything else – skip the steps which have been already completed.
- Root your HTC Desire HD. Gaining root access is essential because this is the first step to make when trying to update with a custom ROM. So, take your time and root your Android device.
- Be careful as gaining root access isn’t official. Also, when doing so the binary flash counter of your device will be increased which means the Desire HD warranty will be void.
- You can restore the warranty easily, but only by revoking root access and by relocking the bootloader. You can achieve that by downgrading your HTC Desire HD to stock Android firmware.
- After gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image on your phone because the stock one can’t be used when dealing with CM 11 custom firmware.
- Use the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery as the software can be flashed only by using one of the mentioned tools.
- Then, backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your Android device. A wipe will be required and it is possible to lose all of your personal data, info and accounts along with your contacts, text messages, call logs, market apps and so on.
- Since CWM is already installed, you can use the same for making a Nandroid backup – do this for saving the current ROM (you can then restore the same without using a complex or complicated tutorial like the present one).
- A computer, your HTC Desire HD and the phone’s USB cable are being required.
- You shouldn’t start the proper update operation without previously deactivating the security tools that are installed on your computer – these programs might interfere with the installation procedure.
- Also, you shouldn’t go any further without charging your device; if your phone gets stuck in the middle of the update operation, it might get bricked – plug in the charger in case there is less than 60% power left.
- On your device go to “menu – settings – developer options” and enable the USB debugging option. Without doing so you will not be able to properly connect your phone with the computer.
This step by step guide is compatible only with the HTC Desire HD. This version of CM11 Android 4.4.2 will work only on the mentioned device. Using the steps from below on a different Android smartphone or tablet will probably brick your handset so try not to mess things up.
Update HTC Desire HD to Android 4.4.2 OS with CM11 Custom ROM Firmware
- From here download the CM11 firmware file.
- Also, from here download Google apps package – you need to flash it separately.
- Save these files on your computer – don’t unzip the files just place it on desktop.
- Good, now connect your Desire HD with your computer – use the USB cord for establishing the connection.
- Take the update and Google apps package from desktop and transfer the files on your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- And turn off your smartphone.
- Reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- From recovery wipe the system and clear cache before flashing the ROM.
- So, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Go back to main menu of recovery.
- This time select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update file and install the same on your HTC Desire HD.
- Then do the same thing and flash Google Apps package on your phone.
- In the end, return to main menu of recovery and from there select “reboot system now”.
That was all for today; the best is that now Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS is running on your HTC Desire HD. So, you have successfully installed CM11 custom ROM firmware on your Android smartphone – congratulations. Do share your experience with us and use the comments area from below for sharing your thoughts with other users who might want to use and apply the above explained step by step tutorial.