Update HTC Desire HD to IceColdSandwich Android 4.0.x ICS custom ROM Firmware
HTC Desire HD has been launched from some time and you might think that developers already forgot about it, but, it seems like you couldn’t be more wrong as some guys posted to XDA forums a new custom ROM that will update your device to Android 4.0.x ICS. Read all the instructions I’ve posted in this article and you will learn how to successfully flash the new ROM on your device easily.
New custom ROMs are usually released with some functions that aren’t working, but the IceColdSandwich installation comes with working WiFi, GPS, Camera, FM Radio using the Spirit FM application from Google Play Store, AlienMind Overlay Script and multiple other important functions have been included within the zip package. Before we can begin to flash this firmware, you will need to backup the important data stored on your phone and this can be done only prior to the installation of IceColdSandwich ROM.
It has been reported that the stock camera might have some problems, which is why I recommend you to install a different one from the Google Play Store, something like CameraZOOM FX or another highly rated one.
This guide is extremely easy to follow and if you’re an advanced Android and HTC user then you shouldn’t have any problems completing it. The ROM is based on AOKP and it features elements from CyanogenMod also. Now that you know all this extra info, you should move to the preparation guide and learn what actions need to be applied before the installation of this custom ROM. Here’s what you need to know:
- the tutorial requires you to wipe all data, which is why you will first need to backup the files that are stored on your phone. You can move your pictures on your computer or you can choose to copy them to your phone’s internal or external sdcard.
- If you wish to backup your installed applications, APN Settings, Call Logs and SMS text messages, use these specific Android tools from Google Play Store: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Enable USB debugging on your smartphone.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t discharge while you’re applying the ROM changes.
- If you’re running another custom ROM and you like it, but you still wish to try IceColdSandwich AOKP based, then you should use ROM Manager, CWM recovery or other similar utilities that have support for creating full backups of your current Android installation.
- Backup the Phone Contacts by syncing them with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then please use the instructions listed in this article here.
- Your HTC Desire HD should be rooted and a custom recovery image needs to be installed on it prior to the installation of the custom ROM.
- This guide is for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t try to apply its instructions if you’re a beginner as you might end up bricking the smartphone and that’s something you wish to avoid. We, most certainly, cannot be held responsible in case your phone gets damaged.
Now that you know all this extra info, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide and apply the IceColdSandwich custom ROM on your phone. Remember not to skip any of the steps listed and in case you cannot complete the tutorial or you cannot understand some of the actions I’ve described there, then you should use the comments section and tell us exactly what isn’t working for you.
That is it, now move to the ‘how to guide’ and update your smartphone.
How to update HTC Desire HD to Android 4.0.x ICS with IceColdSandwich custom ROM:
- Download the IceColdSandwich custom ROM zip file from HERE.
- Save the file and after the download is complete connect your phone to your computer.
- Move the custom ROM zip on your phone’s internal / external sdcard.
- After the transfer is complete you should disconnect the device from your PC and after that power it off.
- Now, boot into the custom recovery mode and then move to the next step. Press Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Use the volume keys to select recovery and confirm the launch.
- After CWM Recovery is launched, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm that you wish to apply this action. Move to the next step when the ‘wipe data’ process has been finished.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and that you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip package file and select it for installation.
- Wait until the IceColdSandwich ROM will install and after that happens, return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and then your HTC Desire HD will boot into its new custom ROM. Please note that the first boot process with IceColdSandwich ICS ROM will take a while before completion and the only thing that it shouldn’t happen is a boot loop. Read the note below in case your phone doesn’t boot at all or if it gets into a boot loop.
NOTE: In case your device cannot boot or it got into a boot loop then you will have to repeat the entire tutorial once again. Make sure to apply step 6 and wipe all data, then install the custom ICS ROM. If it still doesn’t install, then you should tell us in comments exactly what steps you’ve taken and where you got stuck and we will try to help you complete the installation process.
I hope that you did manage to install the ROM and that now you are able to test the new Android 4.0.x custom ROM on your HTC Desire HD. Since your device is now running a new custom ROM you should try and customize all of its functions and features. Also, remember to restore your files along with apps and all other things you’ve backed up before getting to the tutorial.
Use the device link under the post’s picture to browse our website for other HTC Desire tutorials and you might find some new tips and tricks on how to improve its performances.