HTC Desire HD might not be the latest smartphone released, but it still manages to present an interest to developers and now, if you own a device like this, you are able to install a custom ROM that will install the latest HTC Sense 3.0 UI running on Gingerbread 2.3.5 using the Android Revolution HD Custom ROM firmware.
Using the instructions listed here you will be able to install the most popular ROM firmware for your HTC Desire HD. In order to correctly update your device you will need to read all the steps comprised within the tutorial guide and you should know that the firmware found here isn’t an official one, but a custom ROM installation. The ICS Android 4.0 hasn’t been announced for Desire HD. Also, you shouldn’t be too optimistic about such release because that might never happen.
The Android Revolution HD Custom ROM firmware features an improved version of the stock ROM without any visual enhancements. It has been described as clean and very fast and, it has been dubbed as one of the most stable releases for your HTC Desire HD. It features the HTC Sense 3.0 UI, supports multiple languages, renders full Andreno200, latest version of BusyBox, GPU UI rendering is enabled, tweaked SD Card speed, battery auto-calibration script, camera performance highly improved, zipaligned, improved battery life, numerous extra files like themes, an Advanced Power Menu. Also, after applying this update you will be able to replace the stock HTC boot animation with a new custom one.
Before moving to the tutorial guide you need to read the following list of pre-requisites, that will help you prepare better for the custom ROM firmware update. Here’s what you need to know:
- create a backup of all the data currently stored on your phone, so that you won’t lose any file, picture, video, music etc while updating the firmware. The chances of something like this happening are very slim but you should be prepared just in case something goes wrong.
- make sure to Sync your Contacts with your Google account.
- save the APN and MMS settings so that you will be able to browse the web on your phone after the update has been completed.
- the USB debugging mode has to be enabled. Go to Settings, then tap Applications and then Development, where the USB debugging option should be listed, tick it.
- make sure that your phone’s battery level is over 75% so it won’t discharge while you’re installing the new update.
Now that you know all this info, it means that you’re ready to move to the step-by-step guide which teaches you how to successfully update your HTC Desire HD phone using the Android Revolution HD Custom ROM firmware. Here’s which steps you need to take:
- Download the Android Revolution HD Custom ROM firmware pack from this link. Save it on your computer.
- Connect your Desire HD and copy the zip package on the SD card. After that you need to disconnect the phone and power it OFF.
- Now we need to boot into recovery mode. Do it by pressing the Volume down key and Power button.
- When in recovery mode you need to select the ‘Cleat Storage’ option that should clear and remove all cache.
- Now, select ‘install zip from SD card’, then ‘Choose zip from SD card’ and point to the Android Revolution HD Custom ROM firmware zip package.
- Confirm the updating process and wait it completes.
- When the update is finished the device should restart back in Recovery mode. Select ‘++Go Back++’. Select ‘reboot system now’ and then it will restart again only that this time it loads the HTC Desire HD Sense 3.0 UI.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to complete the installation of Android Revolution HD Custom SD on your HTC Desire HD. In case the update didn’t complete it means that something went wrong and you need to repeat all the steps listed above.
If you have any questions or you need help to complete the steps listed in the tutorial guide, then please post in the comments section and we will come to your aid.