Update HTC Desire S to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware with Virtuous Saga Custom ROM
HTC Desire S can now be updated to Android 4.0.4 firmware with a brand new custom ROM, Virtuous Sage v1.0. It uses the Sense 3.6 edition and it is Android 4.0.4 based. This article helps you to successfully update your device using the preparation and installation guides that are listed in this post.
This isn’t an official firmware update, but a custom ROM that is ICS based and it it pretty stable for such an early version. Most functions and features are working and the HTC bloatware was removed. Before we can start applying the new changes you will need to read the preparation guide so that we will avoid any future problems that your HTC Desire S smartphone might develop after the installation of Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM.
The Virtuous Team managed to create this working custom ROM for your HTC Desire S. If you wish to install the new ROM then you should know that your device needs to be rooted and a custom recovery image has to be installed your Desire S device.
Virtuous Saga v1 works only with HTC Desire S devices that are RUU 3.04.401.1 test-keys and 3.0.6 HTC Stock kernel. It comes with support for multiple languages and it will improve the overall performances of your phone. Also, it is deodexed and it will install busybox and superuser along with the latest Google Maps, Google Play Store, Gtalk, Gmail etc. Adobe Reader and multiple other HTC based bloatware functions have been removed. However the Adobe Reader and other applications that you find to be missing can easily be restored by re-installing them from Google Play Store.
Remember that you need to read all the instructions I’ve listed in this post, and if you cannot understand any of steps listed here then you should tell us in comments where you we should get back to you shortly by better explaining what you need to do in order to correctly install the new custom ROM on your Desire S. The preparation guide contains instructions on how to backup your applications and how to correctly configure your device so that you will minimize the danger of damaging your phone.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible in case your device develops any problems and it stops working after the update. Also, it is extremely important that you read both preparation and update guides. Here’s what you need to do before moving to the Virtuous Saga v1 on your HTC Desire S device:
- sms text messages, call logs information and the applications currently stored on your device can be easily backed up using these Android specific Android applications: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- your HTC Desire S should be on a rooted firmware and a custom recovery should be installed.
- save your APN and MMS settings. This will help you connect to the internet just in case you won’t be able to do it after the update is complete.
- sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you should use this guide here.
- enable USB Debugging option.
- now charge your phone’s battery until it reaches at least 80% power levels. This will prevent it from discharging while we’re upgrading the ROM firmware.
- it is recommended that you create a full backup of the current firmware installed on your Desire S device so that you will be able to easily restore it if this new custom ROM isn’t working for you.
That’s it now you can easily move to the tutorial guide and learn how to properly install the new custom ROM on your HTC Desire S smartphone. Note that you’re installing a new ROM you should know that you will be the sole responsible, so that in case something goes wrong and your device gets bricked you shouldn’t blame us. Now that you all know all this, I think that you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to update the firmware ROM of your phone.
How to update the HTC Desire S smartphone using Virtuous Saga Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM firmware:
- Download the Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM firmware zip file from HERE. Save it on your computer desktop.
- Now connect your phone to the PC and move the ROM zip file on your device’s internal sd card without extract its contents.
- Disconnect the phone and after then power it OFF. You will need to put it into bootloader mode.
- Put the device into bootloader by pressing the ‘volume up’ and the ‘ok’ button. Hold them pressed at the same time and wait for the bootloader menu to appear. In case you didn’t manage to load it then start all over again.
- When in bootloader mode then you should select ‘recovery’. This will put your device into recovery mode.
- When in recovery mode you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm its actions.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then navigate to the Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware ROM zip file you’ve moved at step 2.
- Wait for the firmware update to to be complete. Please note that this installation should take at least 5 minutes before completion.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and then select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the HTC Desire S to perform its first boot process. When the main Android 4.0.4 ICS home screen appears you need to configure it and that should do it, you’re device is now running on a brand new custom ROM firmware.
If the first boot process takes way too long to complete, at least 10 minutes, then you should remove the device’s battery, re-insert it and then you will need to start all over again and repeat the entire ROM firmware update process. If you cannot complete the installation then you should ask for help in comments and we will try to guide you through the entire process.
The Virtuous Saga is currently at its first version and it is Android 4.0.4 ICS based that uses the Sense 3.6 user interface. Feel free to browse all other sections of our website and you should find multiple other guides that will be helpful for your Android smartphone. In case you have any other tips and tricks then you should let us know in comments.